Chapter 14

The banging on the door persisted. "Shit." Draco leapt up from the bed.

"Who is it?" I asked, frantically groping the dark ground for my underwear.

"Crabbe and Goyle," Draco replied, quickly redressing. "No doubt pissed that I locked them out."

I forced my panties back on and fumbled with my bra clasp. "What should I do?" There was no alternate exit, no invisibility spells, and nowhere for me to hide.

"I'll get them to leave," Draco said, annoyed at the situation. "Keep quiet and don't move."

Even though my shirt and pants were out of reach still, I did as he said and stayed in the bed that was conveniently hidden from view when he opened the door just a crack. I heard a pissed off Crabbe say, "Christ, Draco, the hell are you locking the door for?"

"I wanted some privacy," Draco replied scathingly. He stood right in the opening of the door to prevent them from entering.

"This isn't just your room, you know," Goyle grumbled.

Draco began to retort, "If you two don't get out of here-"

"Why are you standing in the door like that?" one of them pointed out suspiciously. "Have you got someone in there?"

There was a beat of silence. Draco scoffed. "No-"

A great bit of shuffling ensued as Crabbe and Goyle forced their way inside the room. One of them turned on a light. They stood in the middle of the room and scanned. "There's no one in here."

I stifled my breathing from under Draco's bed. I had made the quick decision to hide almost as soon as I heard Crabbe and Goyle become suspicious. It was a piss poor hiding spot, for if anyone were to glance down from the side, they would see me lying on the floor in my knickers.

"I told you," Draco strode around the room and said with a mixture of anger and confusion, "There's no one in here."

"Is this a girl's sweater?" Crabbe swooped down and picked up my discarded teal long-sleeve from the floor.

"And pants," Goyle said, spotting my jeans lying in a heap not far from my shirt.

Crabbe, never the brightest, was only getting more perplexed. "Whose are these? They don't look like Pansy's. They're too... bright." I could picture Crabbe and Goyle exchanging confused looks right about now. "Draco, you should have just told us you had a girl over. We would have left you alone."

"I don't have a girl over," Draco said sourly. He snatched the clothes from their hands. "I took these from a 5th year. They're for a plan."

"For the Dark Lord?" one of them asked. It seems Draco's friends are privy to his mission. Of course, I thought to myself from my hiding spot. "What on earth would you need girls' clothes for?"

I heard the clunk of Draco opening and closing his trunk, stowing my clothes inside. "They're not for me. They're for you."

"What?" Goyle barked.

Draco lowered his voice into a threatening tone. "You two said you would assist me in carrying out the Dark Lord's mission. You've been practically begging me to give you something to do. So I am giving you an order. You would both be wise to follow it. Unless, of course, you want me to inform him of your insubordination."

I was in shock at how Draco spoke to his friends like he was their boss. I knew Crabbe and Goyle were his lackeys- but I had no idea just how deep their dedication was to him until I heard them solemnly huff in agreement.

"Good," Draco growled. "I'll tell you both the plan when it's time." Plan? I wondered, I wasn't aware Draco had another plan...

I waited nervously for Draco to get Crabbe and Goyle to leave somehow, but to my dismay they stayed, readying themselves for bed. I wanted to scream. I knew by this point Draco was aware of me hiding under his bed; as he stood right between me and where Goyle was now shedding his clothes.

"Draco," Goyle spoke, "Why are you just standing there?"

"No reason."

From the other side of the room, Crabbe said, "Oy, I got you some of that Sleeping Draught you were asking for."

I could tell Draco wanted to cross the room to retrieve it, but couldn't leave his post. "If it's by your own hand, then forget it," he said dismissively. "I don't trust any potion you make since you paralyzed Goyle's tongue with your Pepperup Potion."

"But I swiped it from a Ravenclaw girl."

Having no reason not to take it now, Draco hesitated and then reluctantly stepped away from his bed. Each second he was away felt like an eternity. I longed for him to make some excuse, order them to get out- but I began to believe I may be stuck here until Crabbe and Goyle fell asleep. And then there was the matter of Zabini, their fourth roommate. He could arrive at any moment.

Goyle's wand suddenly clattered to the floor only a foot from my head. "Curses," he muttered, and bent down between the beds to pick it up-

Goyle and I locked eyes, and he screamed. I winced.

"Naked girl!" he fumbled backwards, falling on his bum while Draco rushed over, picking Goyle up by the lapel of his pajamas and shoving him away.

"Cover your eyes, both of you," Draco snarled. I scooted myself out from under Draco's bed, seeing Crabbe and Goyle standing with their hands over their eyes. I thought I saw Crabbe sneak a peek through his fingers.

Draco grabbed one of his cloaks and tossed it my way. "Cover yourself."

I wanted to ask for my clothes back, but didn't have the cheek at the moment. I fastened Draco's Slytherin cloak over my body. His cloak smelled of mahogany, and reached all the way down past my feet to the floor.

"I knew you had a girl in here," Goyle said with a grin, still covering his eyes.

"Who is it?" Crabbe asked, trying to peek at me again.

"It's none of your business," Draco snapped. I kept my eyes to the floor, wearing embarrassment on my head like a dunce cap, and shuffled to where my shoes lay.

"It's that fifth year with the great ass," Goyle informed Crabbe. I damn near tripped over Draco's long cloak as I slung my bookbag over my shoulder and quickly made for the door.

"Did you imperio her into sleeping with you? Because I didn't know we could do that-"

"I did not," Draco hissed. I looked back at him only once before leaving. He looked back at me with his lips flattened into a line. His gaze seemed changed, somehow, when we locked eyes. I wondered if, from his perspective, mine had changed as well. I longed to speak with him about our previous act of intimacy, but couldn't do so with his two roommates present.

I ripped my eyes from his and left. Clutching the long bunches of fabric in my hands so I did not trip, I remembered I had left the Compendium of Toxins on the floor.

And I had done so on purpose.