Chapter 6

I stepped into the Forbidden Forest, ducking behind a tree to catch my breath. The sounds of McGonagall fussing over the petrified Ravenclaw were far behind me. It seemed I avoided being caught in the altercation. But by doing so, I had placed myself in another.

It was broad daylight, and not an inch of it reached the forest floor. The Forest didn't look this dark from the outside. As soon as my eyes adjusted to the dim light caused by the dense foliage of the trees overhead, I mustered the courage to tread forward.

There was no sign of where Draco had gone. There was, however, a bone-chilling echo reverberating through the trees. Stories of students who had seen disturbing beasts in the Forbidden Forest ran through my brain like a newspaper editorial.

Beware the man-eating spiders, the centaurs, trolls, and wolves that lurk in the shadows of the Forbidden Forest... they will surely take your life....

My lip began to quiver more and more with each step I took. Some buzzing of unseen insects circled closely to my ears. You can turn back now, Erica. Leave Draco alone like he wishes, and carry on minding your own business...

My right foot did not meet the forest floor on my next step- for I was whisked back, an unknown assailant's arms wrapping around my waist, and the other covering my mouth, dampening any scream I might have prepared. The grip was firm, and I fought against it while I was dragged back deeper into the forest.

My captor paused when they reached the enormous trunk of a twisted tree, and I at least had a sense of relief knowing my attacker was bipedal- a human.

The person's breath was hot on my ear. "Did you follow me here?" I recognized the voice as Draco's. I was unsure if he could feel my heart pounding in my chest, just inches above where his left arm had me securely around the stomach.

"I thought I obliviated you, you stupid girl," he spoke again, the tenor of his voice sending tingles down my neck. I brought one of my feet down atop his left shoe, stomping with all my might. His loosened grip allowed me to break free. I whipped around indignantly, taking a few paces to distance myself from the man who grabbed me.

"My name is Erica," I emphasized angrily, "And you're the stupid one." My demeanor softened when I saw the trail of blood coming from his ear that ran in haphazard streaks down the side of his neck. "You got yourself injured again."

Draco covered his ear. "This doesn't concern you. What I want to know is how you blocked my spell."

"My mother is an Obliviator for the Ministry. I've known how to block memory spells since I was 12."

Draco scowled at the ground, cursing. "Of course." His eyes flicked up from the ground to meet mine. He looked furious. "I don't need you. I can handle this myself."

I crossed my arms. "I highly doubt that. You must have no idea how difficult it is to perform healing spells on yourself."

"I'm well aware," he said through his bared teeth. "Now leave."

"You're not a prefect anymore. I don't have to take orders from you." I located a flat rock to my right, and sat. "I want to see you do it."

Draco scowled at me, the defiant, snarky 5th year that once again caught him in a moment of weakness. He remained stiff with his hand still clutching his bloody ear. "Go on. Heal yourself," I commanded.

Fueled by spite, or perhaps just trying to prove a point, Draco lifted his wand to his ear with determination. As soon as the tip of his wand met the hidden wound, he winced.

I observed from my rock. "Are you going to clean the wound first?" I asked. Draco's gaze snapped to me.

"If you have a problem with how I heal myself, you should just leave."