Chapter 30

I would be lying if I said the brief interaction I had with Ginny Weasley hadn't bothered me. It was like one of my worst fears had presented itself to me in a clandestine parcel, placed right at my doorstep. As soon as word of Draco and I spread, I would no longer be Erica Thorncroft; I would be known throughout the castle as Draco's girlfriend. Being his was easy when I didn't consider the strings that came attached to the title.

I kept quiet about the matter for the rest of my courses; sitting right next to Evelyn, Penny and Greta in transfiguration and charms classes like today was any other day. I kept waiting for someone to cast me a dirty look in the halls, or perhaps catch a whisper of someone saying "That's her. That's Draco's girl." The anxiety was nauseating. I was well aware of the propensity at this school for people to gossip; for instance, I had heard many things through the grapevine about Harry Potter. So even though they weren't talking about me now, they would be talking about me later. And I was determined to remain in normalcy for a little while longer, even if it meant putting off telling my friends the truth.

I have so many secrets I'm keeping from them. At this point, I might have to start keeping a log.

I just about collapsed into the safety of my bed when we returned to our room to get ready for lunch.

"Robbie does this thing with his tongue that I'm beginning to hate," Greta complained, brushing her rust-colored waves in a levitating hand mirror. "I'm thinking of casting langlock upon him just so I don't have to deal with it anymore."

"I wish Adrian would use tongue," Penny griped, helping Evelyn apply a wrinkle-eliminating charm on her clothes. Evelyn had dozed off in charms class, so the front of her uniform was disheveled. "He kisses me like a bird eating chicken feed. Always peck, peck, peck."

"Birds can be quite charming," Evelyn said dreamily, holding out her arms so Penny could straighten the sleeves. "I saw a stork on the astronomy tower once that I thought was quite handsome."

"But do you really want to be kissed by one?" I quipped playfully. "A fish might pop out of its mouth and into yours."

Evelyn rolled her eyes as Greta and Penny chuckled. "Well, it could have been an animagus for all we know," Evelyn said with earnest naivety.

"Ah, the greatest love story ever untold," Greta mused. "Evelyn and her dreamy astronomy tower stork animagus-"

The door to our bedroom suddenly flew open. Pansy Parkinson stormed into the room, her glossy black hair pulled back into a stern ponytail, looking like she was ready for a fight. She was scowling at me.

"Pansy?" Penny looked at her older sister with alarmed confusion. "What are-"

"You whore," Pansy spat at me. My entire body froze. My roommates looked between Pansy and I, completely perplexed. A feeling of dread spread throughout my body.

She knows.

"Pansy, please-" I began to say hoarsely, but she interrupted me, coming menacingly closer.

"I hope you know that he's only using you as a distraction," she hissed, her eyes glowing with fury. "You're just some young, dumb thing who's volunteered herself to be his slutty little stress ball."

I gritted my teeth. I couldn't think of a response- I was too caught off guard.

Penny gripped her sister roughly by the arm. "Who are you talking about?"

Pansy laughed dryly, her penetrating gaze never leaving my face. "This little slut seduced Draco."

Penny blinked, standing beside her sister with a look of quiet disbelief on her face. Greta and Evelyn burst into dismayed cries.