Chapter 15

I was painfully aware of the soreness of my backside for a week.

I went another long stint without seeing Draco at all; allowing him to do whatever it was he needed to with the Compendium of Toxins. A part of me regretted leaving it after that night; but I reasoned that my brain simply wasn't working properly thanks to the previous... rumpus.

I gave no indication to my friends that anything at all had occurred that night. Evelyn did notice, however, that one of my cloaks was much longer than the others. Thankfully, she was the only one who took note of this, and I was able to stow the robe from view in the very bottom of my trunk. As a result, it made the rest of my clothes smell reminiscent of Draco. It drove me mad, and only fueled the embarrassment and anger I felt from being discovered in my knickers by Crabbe and Goyle. I spent the following days fretting about what would come of it- if Draco would inform them of the emotional aspects, or simply play it off as a one night stand. I didn't know which I preferred, as both were embarrassing.

"More elderberry tea?" Madam Pomfrey asked.

"Yes, please," I replied, absentmindedly scanning a medical encyclopedia by the window next to her desk. The medical wing was previously occupied by a first year Ravenclaw complaining of a jinxed nose, but we soon sent him on his way when we realized it was only an allergic reaction to his roommate's cat. It was just Madam Pomfrey and I in the medical wing now, waiting for new patients to come in.

Madam Pomfrey cast a spell to fold the clean linens and then came to refill my cup. "You know, elderberries have many medical uses. It's often been used by Muggles to absolve common colds," she informed me, "Some suspect it may have contraceptive properties as well."

"Is that so?" I replied innocently. I looked up from the book and saw Madam Pomfrey looking down at me with raised eyebrows, her lips pursed.

"What?" I asked.

"Is there something you would like to tell me?"

My fingers tensed around the mug's warmth. "No," I muttered, looking down into the dark water. "I just rather enjoy the taste of elderberries."

Madam Pomfrey tapped a finger lightly on the desk. "You've always been a chamomile drinker until this week when you asked to switch to elderberry. Seemed a bit odd."

"Madam Pomfrey, what are you suggesting?"

"Nothing," she turned around to send the folded linens into the cabinet. "It is none of my business, dear. But as a practitioner of medicine, it is in my nature to notice these sorts of things. And as your mentor," she slightly angled her head to me, "I take it as my responsibility to make note of your wellbeing. If there is something bothering you, or perhaps... distracting you from your studies, you may tell me if you wish."

I paused. Madam Pomfrey almost never took interest in the private affairs of students. The fact that she was now opening up to me as a confidant meant she must really care about me. I flattened my lips into a line.

"I must confess, I have been a bit distracted this year," I admitted quietly. "As I get older, things seem to get more complicated in the strangest ways." I sighed. "But I have been sticking to my studies. Professor Snape has noticed an improvement."

Madam Pomfrey smiled reassuringly. "That's good to hear. Erica, you are capable of succeeding and becoming a healer. I've seen how you interact with the patients; no prejudice, no judgment, only focusing on the task at hand." Her blue eyes squinted with kindness. "You remind me a bit of myself. But then, of course, I was much more interested in romances than medicine at your age. So please, don't make the mistakes that I did."

I smiled softly. "Madam Pomfrey."

She gestured innocently. "Forgive me if I am making assumptions. But whether it be a boy, girl, or giant, I won't judge."