Chapter 17

My thoughts had been circling the drain ever since my last encounter with Draco three days ago. It was hard to tell if he was avoiding me again because he was working on one of his plans to kill someone for the Dark Lord, or because I rejected his proposal to enter a public relationship with him. Even if he wasn't plotting a murder, I was uncertain if I wanted to become the public armpiece of the Slytherin pureblood prince. Regardless of what we felt for each other, which seemed to be actual, genuine feelings of affection, he was still Draco Malfoy, and being associated with someone of that much power just didn't suit me. And now I wasn't sure if there would even be another rendezvous.

But still, I wanted him. I longed for him, especially in the late hours of the night, when I couldn't sleep. I liked to believe he was thinking of me too. But he was most likely occupied with Death Eater business, plotting to carry out the task the Dark Lord had given him. I wonder, which does he think of more? Me, or murder?

"Erica, have you been asked to Slughorn's Christmas party?" Penny reached across me to grab a dinner roll. I snapped out of my trance, remembering that I was having dinner in the Great Hall with Penny, Evelyn and Greta.

"What was that?" I blinked. Penny rolled her eyes. She hated having to repeat herself.

"Slughorn's Christmas party?" she enunciated, like I was deaf. "For the Slug Club? Everyone in the club can bring a guest."

"I reckon Cade will want to ask you," Greta leaned across the table, a gleeful smile across her face, rounding her cheeks. "I wish we could all go. But you're the only one who has a chance." She had a bit of jam on her lip. But it seemed she didn't notice, even when Evelyn motioned for her to wipe it off.

"Cade is in Slug Club?" I blinked again. I was sure this was a piece of information that had been discussed before, but lately I spent most of my time tuning out conversations unless I was directly spoken to.

Penny said dismissively, "The party is in two weeks, though, so he has some time," she paused, twirling pasta around her fork, "If he wants to ask someone else, that is."

I flattened my lips into a line, not bothering to waste my breath responding to Penny. My lack of response wasn't noted, however, because Adrian and his roommates joined us at the table, sandwiching themselves between us as usual. Cade decided to sit next to me. I carried on eating my meal as usual while my roommates canoodled with his.

"Evening, Erica," Cade said to me. He had that boyish nervosity about him again. I knew something was up; he got this way when he wanted to ask me something.

"Hello Cade," I replied, eating my meal faster.

Cade smiled at the table, and then looked back at me. "Quite impressive work you did in potions today. Your Wit-Sharpening potion was the most purple of all of ours."

I offered him a good-natured smile after washing down my food with water. "Thank you."

"I should be thanking you," he laughed skittishly. "You lent me your spare newt spleens."

I needed something to make the time pass faster so I could finish my food and leave. "How's Quidditch going, Cade?"

Cade began his self-absorbed spiel of Quidditch feats, naming exactly which houses he has won against since the whole season began. I nodded when I was supposed to, muttered 'wow' at appropriate times, but wholly missed every word of it.

The sound of Greta excitedly whispering to everyone caught my attention. "Look," she whispered, her eyes locked on the person who had just entered the Great Hall. "He's here."

I turned away from Cade for a moment. My eyes widened along with everyone else's when I spotted Draco in his robes striding into the hall, with Crabbe and Goyle in step behind him. It was as if the entire room hushed, everyone's heads turning to look at the proud man who hadn't been seen at a meal in nearly two weeks. But that may have just been the blood roaring in my ears.