005

◡̈ ◡̈ ◡̈

Avani's POV

i got home pretty late, around one in the morning. i couldn't sleep. i took off my makeup and put on my pajamas. i laid down in my bed and tried to sleep, but it wasn't coming to me.

my mind kept running back to her.

and strangely enough, i kept wondering if she was dating someone. or if she was in love with anyone.

which was fine, because i was just curious and wanted to be her friend. she seems to know a lot about relationships anyway.

i look over at the clock and realize it's nearing 4 in the morning. great. i'm going to have to do a really good makeup job tomorrow morning.

i sigh.

i get up and start pacing around. my mind will not shut down. i could use a distraction. i go to my phone. i see anthony texted me "goodnight" about two hours ago.

that's sweet. i smile at my phone.

but then i put my phone back down and i'm back to wondering.

i lay back down.

and then i hear a loud noise from outside. it sounded like my gate.

i jump up and run to turn on my light.

then, i go to my window and look out.

i see a figure running away.

it's probably just a crazy fan.

but i wish i could deny hoping it would be cassandra.

◡̈ ◡̈ ◡̈

i finally get some sleep, and wake up around 10 the next morning.

i look in the mirror.

yup. i'm going to need quite a bit of makeup.

i walk downstairs and see my whole family is already awake. i think they can tell i'm not fully awake yet, because they don't bother me.

i sit down and eat some cereal.

one of my sisters goes out to get the mail.

"hey, avani, this one is for you," shanti says.

a look of confusion crosses my face before i remember the fan from last night.

"oh yeah. ok," i say and take it from her.

the envelope just has my first name on it, in pretty handwriting. "hm," i say.

i open the letter and my heart stops.

i gasp.

it's from her. it's from cassandra.

it's. from. cassandra!

a smile takes over my face.

"what is it?" shanti says.

"nothing, nothing," i say. i get up and start walking to my room.

"yeah right, 'nothing'. ok," she says sarcastically.

i roll my eyes at her.

i race up the stairs and shut my door behind me.

i sit on my bed as i start to read.

◡̈ ◡̈ ◡̈

Avani,
     Fully aware leaving you a letter at your house is a little strange. I just knew I had to reach out to you some way, and that you wouldn't see it if it was on social media.
     So I guess I just wanted to get to know you more. You probably think I'm super weird, or that I'm just the girl that gave you advice, but I can't stop thinking about you. Ok, that sounded weird too. There's no good way to put that. Anyway, I felt a connection on the sidewalk, and I just wanted to tell you that. Obviously, I know you're dating Anthony, and I respect that. I just want to be friends. I think you're amazing.
     If you want to, leave a response in the big tree at the park a few blocks away from your house. I'll check everyday :)
                                                                 From,
                                                                       Cassandra
P.S.- I'm sorry for dropping this off at 4 in the morning.

◡̈ ◡̈ ◡̈

i giggle on accident. i clap my hand over my mouth.

but i can't stop smiling.

i read it over again.

i know exactly which tree she's talking about too. she must live around here then.

i roll my eyes at myself. of course she lives around here, she dropped the letter off by walking here.

i think about it for a second.

should i respond? i mean, nothing is stopping me. she said we would just be friends.

wait. she had to specify that we would just be friends. does that mean...she might like me?

butterflies.

shit.

i hesitate for another moment.

and then i walk over to my desk and start writing.

◡̈ ◡̈ ◡̈

e.j.'s notes:
lol aww.