029

◡̈ ◡̈ ◡̈

Avani POV

it's been a few weeks since cassandra gave me that jacket. i've tried my best to wear it every chance i got.

today is september 27th. cassandra's 18th birthday.

i've thought about it a lot. i want to do something really special for her.

so, i got her mom in on it. in cassandra's backyard there's a gazebo. her mom is going to take her shopping, and when she gets back i'll be there. with a surprise.

i get to her house and see that they're already gone. charli, dixie and madi all pull up. they came to help me set up. cass's mom also left me a spare key so i could use the kitchen or bathroom if i needed to.

"ok," charli claps her hands together. "what are we doing?"

"well, i want to set up the backyard for a really nice dinner," i start. i open the gate and we walk in. "so we'll have to clean it up a bit, put up some lights, i'll have to make the food..."

i see them nod and look around.

it's around 2 so it's a little too early to start making food.

"ok, why don't we start with the gazebo itself?"

so we grab the hose and start to spray it down.

i go in the house and get paper towels and windex for the table and chairs.

after cleaning the gazebo we decide to let it dry. we move on to stringing lights around the fence.

"i'm too short for this," i say. charli and i are both 5'4" so we're not much help.

madi is the tallest, so she takes over. dixie helps her. charli and i go to hunt for an extension cord so that the lights will actually light up.

"i'm not seeing one," charli says from inside a closet.

"me neither," i reply. "great."

i throw my arms up in exasperation.

"we'll find one," charli says.

a few seconds later charli says, "what about down here?"

i realize she's talking about the basement. we open the door, and it's very dark down there.

we look at each, then back down to the bottomless black hole. then back at each other.

"you go dow—" "no you go—" "you!" you!"

we start pushing each other.

"you guys are children," dixie says. she rolls her eyes and walks right down the stairs.

charli gives me one last shove. she walks after dixie.

i go back outside to see how madi is doing.

"great job madi!" i say with a smile.

"thank you!" she says. she's been wanting to make it up to cassandra for a while now, even though cassandra said she wasn't mad about the whole story post thing.