008

◡̈ ◡̈ ◡̈

Cassandra's POV

i climb out of the tree, smiling like an idiot. and as i'm walking back to the store, avani is the only thing i can think about.

i'm very glad she doesn't think i'm a stalker or something.

and even more glad that she also wants to be my friend.

as soon as i got back to the store, i had to go back to work. so i'll have to write back later.

coincidentally, i make my next jacket purple.

◡̈ ◡̈ ◡̈

Avani's POV

i'm rushing to finish putting myself together when anthony texts me to say he's here. i took too long dropping my letter off.

i text back coming and walk down the stairs.

"bye guys!" i say and wave to most of my family.

anthony gets out and opens the door for me.

"thank you," i say with a smile.

"of course," he says and walks back around to the drivers seat.

the car ride was mostly silent. at first it was that silence that's comfortable, but towards the end it felt awkward.

we pulled up at one of my least favorite spots to eat in L.A.

anthony gets out to open the door for me again and i sigh. is this the most he'll do? open the door for me?

we get seated and he looks at me right in the eyes.

i look away, uncomfortable.

he looks away too.

i start shifting around in my seat.

we order our drinks.

"so..." he says.

but that's the most conversation we have before the waiter comes back to take our orders.

i try to order the thing i think they can't mess up, but we'll see.

and then i get sad. it's like anthony and i aren't even friends anymore.

"alright, so this has been sufficiently awkward so far," i say to try and break the tension. i get a nervous chuckle from him.

and then he says, "yeah. i'm sorry. truly. for everything. and i wanted to make it right. it wasn't until i saw your face that i remembered you don't like this place, but you didn't say anything. i wish you told me, because i would've taken you somewhere else."

"i was afraid you'd get mad at me," i confess.

he shakes his head. "this shouldn't be...what it is. we should feel comfortable talking to each and voicing opinions on food places."

i laugh a little. "you're right," i say.

we're silent for a few moments.

"i figured out your favorite place to eat just so you know," he says. "i had to ask your friends, but i know it now."

"so we're here because...?" i ask.

"i didn't find out until a few minutes ago," he admits.

i nod my head.

he bites his lip. "i'm about to ask you a bunch of questions, and the answers are things i should already know."

"ok," i say.

"what's your favorite color?"

"seriously?" i say.

"i know i know. i'm sorry," he says.

"purple," i say, and you can hear the annoyance and shock in my voice. my face clearly reads "what the fuck."

so he stops asking questions. and now my mind is back on the letter i wrote earlier, where i told cassandra my favorite color.

and now my mind is made up. she wouldn't forget that. i barely know her but i know she cares more than anthony.

we get our food. my salad sucks.

i barely eat before i say, "i'm ready to leave."

anthony nods his head.

he gets his food wrapped and takes care of the check.

we get to the car.

he opens the door for me.

i take the door out of his hand, shut it and reopen it for myself. i glare at him while i do it.

the whole way home, we don't speak.

◡̈ ◡̈ ◡̈

e.j.'s notes:
yikes