012

◡̈ ◡̈ ◡̈

Cassandra's POV

i can't believe we got here at the same time.

actually, now that i think about it, i can't believe this hasn't already happened.

we're still holding hands when i say, "why don't we go sit?"

we walk over to a bench. she put her bouquet down next to her. i smile.

"i hope you like those. i don't know your favorite flowers, but i think just about every kind is there," i say, and she laughs.

"thank you. so much," she says. "i know i haven't been a very good penpal, it's just been rough."

i put my hand on her shoulder. "i'm not mad. at all. and i thought that...you know with everything you probably just wanted some time to think. so that's why i just bought flowers instead."

she takes off her mask, and i can see her smile. i like when she smiles, you don't see it very often.

i look around and see that there's no one around us, which makes sense. even in summer, most people have jobs and most people our age are going to the beach for the first time this summer or something. plus, it's also midday on a monday and we're at a park. i wouldn't expect a lot of people to be here.

so i also take off my mask. this is her first time seeing my whole face, i realize.

i'm confused by her face. i raise my eyebrows.

"oh oh," she says and shakes her head. "don't worry, it's just that you're even prettier than i dreamed you were."

her eyes go wide open and she smacks her hand across her mouth.

"uh—um...haha i didn't mean to say that out loud," she says, nervously.

"well you're gorgeous too," i say.

"hey, i didn't say gorgeous," she says.

my mouth drops. "excuse me," i say, and shove her shoulder.

she laughs. "how do you know i didn't picture the bottom half of your face to be absolutely hideous?" she asks, with one eyebrow raised.

i hesitate for a moment. "i—i don't know!" i say.

"mhm. that's right," she says and crosses her arms.

"wow," i say and cross my own arms. "i take that back. on the outside, you're gorgeous. on the inside, absolutely awful."

"no! take that back!" she says, pointing a finger at me.

"why? so you continue to drag me even after i complimented you?" i say.

we just look at each other for a moment, and then begin to laugh. and then we can't stop.

it's almost as if laughing made the situation funnier, because we keep laughing. and every time we stop, we take one look at each other and start laughing again. finally, we calm down.