Noah - Baking

A/N Another 'baking' one 'cause I like them and think they're cute <3

Also this one is a Noah and Non-binary-Reader because I am lacking inclusivity in this book and that's rude of me so I'm sorry x

PAIRING: Noah x NB-Reader

Words: 1k

----------------------------------

You worked in a little bakery just out of the city centre. You were one of two people who did the actual decoration for requested cakes, in the back of an actual bakery. Whether it was writing or drawings, printing off a photo and adding frosting around them, that was your job. From simple 'Happy Birthday's to full on movie quotes that must've been inside jokes to who ever ordered them.

One day you'd been out front of the store, putting some of the fresh out of the oven pastries into their glass case when the door chimed and a few male voices rang through the store. You looked up from placing the last croissant and met the brown iris' of one of the guys who'd come in. It felt like time had slowed around you, watching as his own eyes didn't move from yours as he blinked and his cheek slowly dimpled with his smile.

"Hello lads, what can I get for you today?" Your boss' voice broke through your trance, your cheeks heated in realisation of how long you'd been there and quickly you scurried to the back of the building and continued to grab the rest of the fresh goods as your boss served the guys. As you returned to the front to put them away, your gaze still kept going back to the boy.

It had been a few weeks since you'd first seen the hazel eyed and haired guy, but he'd been in many times and each time managed to make you feel like a teen with a crush. His voice was smooth and he was always up for a chat, but you still never caught his name.

You were in the middle of piping a flower onto a white box cake when the phone rang, making you jump. Thankfully your boss had taken it in her office so you didn't have to loose too much concentration.

She came through to you a few minutes later with a small smile on her face and passed you a piece of A4 paper with your one of your next orders to do.

"Is this a phone number?" you scoffed, looking over the digits with a slightly shake of your head at the lack of explanation or reason. You boss just shrugged, walking out to the front of the shop after hearing the bell of the front door ring.

The order wasn't for another 3 days, so you carried on with others but soon, a day before they were picking it up, you started. It was just a plain vanilla box cake, vanilla butter cream and a line of numbers, you assumed was a phone number, in black writing icing.

It was probably the easiest cake you've ever designed and were done within minutes, just laughing to yourself about some people's orders and what they meant to them.

"Y/n?" Your boss called from her office, making you follow the sound and pop your head around the corner.

"I know this is last minute, but can you cover the front of the shop tomorrow morning, I have to take this money to the bank before they close and no one else can come in"

You sighed but nodded, earning a big grin from her as she sat at her desk.

The morning was soon arriving and you were back in the shop, waiting for the next customer to arrive. You had just turned your back to the door, starting to clean the coffee machine for the 5th time that morning, when you heard it open and the bell ring.

You plastered on a smile and were ready to put on your fakest sweetest voice as you turned, but your smile grew into a true one and a small happy sigh left your lips.

There stood the guy you'd been crushing on for too long, his hands in the pockets of his bomber jacket, his own smile tugging up as he sees you behind the counter.

"Hi" you finally said, taking the few steps back to be at the front of the desk, "What can I get for you?"

"I um, ordered a cake a few days ago and they said it should be ready today" he replied, the words first stumbling out of his mouth before he regained his cool.

"What's the name?" you asked, actually needing to know it for his order but relieved you'd now be able to place a name to his face.

"Noah"

You nodded and slid out back, grabbed his cake box and walked back through, catching him for a second fiddling with his hair as he viewed himself in the mirror on the wall.

"So, Noah" you smiled, happy to now know his name, sliding the cake carefully onto the counter top as he passed you his card. You walked over to the till to swipe it and get his receipt. "What's with the digits?" pointing to the cake.

"They're actually for you, its my number" Noah said, his speech quiet and reserved. You stood up slightly straighter at his answer,

"Did you seriously put in a cake order just to have your phone number as the decoration? You could have just given it to me." Your words were laced with a laugh, taking in his heating cheeks from across the counter as you passed him back his card. Once the card was away, his hand raised and brushed through his brown locks, seemingly a habit of his.

"It just seemed like a fun way to do it? Traditional is boring" Noah shrugged, smiling softly along with meeting your eyes.

"You realise you could've saved $15 and 3 days of waiting if you just came in and gave it to me, or told someone to give it to me when you called"

"But now we're already set for a date" He stated, proud and confident,

You tilted your head slightly and creased your brows in confusion, he took the hint and continued.

"We'll you can't expect me to eat this cake alone can you?" he shrugged. You laughed lightly again but nodded.

"Sounds like a great date. But it's my job to let you know that you should really finish these cakes within a couple of days, you know, so that frosting doesn't go bad" you winked, hoping he'd take the hint.

"I guess we'll have to plan it as soon as we can, what time are you off today?"

"3:30" you replied,

"Guess I'll catch you later, I'll meet you out here" Noah grinned, picking up the cake and nodding his head to you before he left, making your heart flutter.