Chapter Twenty-One - End Of The World Savior - Task World Two (7)

Hol met up with Bret again and noticed that he had a bit more blood on him than before. Looking around the area he noticed a zombie on the ground with their head stomped in repeatedly.

"There was a zombie hiding out in a freezer in the store. I assume before they lost to the virus they tried to slow down the process by going into the freezer. But clearly, that didn't work for them." Bret was trying to get rid of the blood that made it on his face. He really didn't want to look like a bloodthirsty killer in front of Ira.

"I see... Rubin and I found some supplies in the store that would be useful to bring along with us." Hol went closer to Bret and raised a hand to his face. Without showing any emotion he simply got rid of a bloodstain that was still left on their face. He tried not to pay attention to the heated look he was getting from Rubin or the lovestruck eyes coming from Bret.

"Since we are done with this place let go find somewhere else to search for supplies. We probably have three more stores located in this area." Hol was indifferent as he went to exit the store he was in. He could hear the footsteps of Rubin and Ira following him so he didn't bother to turn around. He made sure to scan the area for any zombies or anything that seemed off.

They continue to walk to the place where Hol hid the car away. After putting the supplies in the trunk of the car, Hol started the car up again and started to drive towards the next place they had to check for supplies. Hol noted in the backseat Rubin was struggling not to fall asleep but was failing badly.

"I wonder if it is okay for me to ask about your late wife." Bret had a calm expression but his heart was beating wildly as he cursed at himself for asking about his love rival. Even if they are dead they do have a place in Ira's heart. He is such an idiot!

"She had a nice smile and weird taste in food." That was the first memory that popped up about Rubin's mother. She was quite the weirdo who just caught Ira's attention. She wasn't like anyone else who usually wanted to use him for something. She just wanted to hang out with him and make him eat her weird food creations.

"Do...Do you-" Bret doesn't know why it is so hard to simply ask Ira if he still loves his dead wife. Why were his hands shaking when he thought about the answer Ira could give him.

"Quit asking something that is clearly making you uncomfortable." Hol noticed that Bret's face was getting kind of pale as they tried to ask him a difficult question. Hol could guess what it was but since the question wasn't asked Hol decided to ignore it.

Bret didn't say anything and just looked out the window of the car. He really doesn't know what to do to close the distance between him and Ira. It felt like whenever they got close Ira would get cold towards him and increase the distance between them.

Hol finally stopped the car in front of what used to be a mall plaza. He could see countless abandoned cars in the parking lot which made it hard to find a place to park the car. Hol decided that he should just park the car on the sidewalk in the plaza. Hopefully, people would think it was abandoned and couldn't be used.

"This place is a bit bigger so we have to be extra careful. Rubin makes sure to stick to me and not to go anywhere without telling me first." Hol's voice woke up a half-asleep Rubin who quickly nodded his head in understanding.

Hol got out of the car and decided that he would leave the sniper gun in the trunk of the car and bought along guns that could be hidden easily on his person.

The first place they went to was an abandoned supermarket. Hol could smell spoiled meat in the store and tried not to gag at the horrible smell. It seems like not all the meat was taken out of the store when the virus started to spread. He really hoped there wasn't a lot of zombies hiding around in this store.