~ chapter 3 ~

Madelyn woke up to the slamming of the kitchen cabinets. Her eyes widened as she realized who was a couple of steps behind her. She grabbed and pulled her blanket over her head to try and stop the noise when another one slammed shut. Madelyn flipped around on the couch to face another direction to hopefully make Malfoy notice she was waking up due to the ruckus. 

Malfoy continued on as the fridge door was the next one to slam. Madelyn took her pillow and put it on her head while a fork scraping on a plate was the next sound to disturb her. To her surprise, it was able to pierce through the pillow and into her ear. Madelyn kicked her blanket onto the floor and sat up to face the fireplace. She dropped her head into her hands and rubbed her eyes then groaned loud enough to make sure Malfoy could hear. Eventually, she stood up and walked into their shared bedroom. 

Madelyn did not have to worry about getting ready for classes since the upper-class students didn't start for another week. In her dresser, she searched for a dark grey shirt and a pair of jeans and then walked into the bathroom. She took a long hot shower, not wanting to leave her false reality. After about thirty minutes, she stepped out and onto the cold tile floor which sent a shock up her body. She changed into the clothes she chose, then took the towel and shook out her damp hair.  

She took a deep breath in and released it before, mentally, telling herself everything was going to be fine. As she left the bathroom, she found Malfoy laying on the bed reading a book. She walked past, not acknowledging his presence, and right out the bedroom door. In the kitchen, she made herself a bowl of cereal and as she sat, getting ready to eat, someone knocked at the door. Madelyn looked around in confusion and slowly got up to answer. But, Malfoy beat her to it as he rushed out of the room. Madelyn backed up and waved her hands in the air, mocking him. 

"Is Madelyn there?" Hermione called out as Madelyn was taking a bite of cereal. Malfoy opened the door wider and stood out of the way to show Madelyn sitting in the kitchen. He did not make a sound but stood with a filthy expression. 

"Hey Hermione," Madelyn said, standing up from her chair. She walked over and grabbed the door from Malfoy, making him walk back to their room. 

"What's his deal?" Hermione asked with disgust at Malfoy's attitude. 

"He doesn't believe we're soulmates," Madelyn said sarcastically, putting emphasis on the word. "Come in, please, I am dying of boredom," she begged. Hermione laughed and walked in. Madelyn gestured to the kitchen and sat back at her spot, finishing her bowl of cereal. "How's everything going with you and Ron?" 

"It's a little awkward. Not because of us being matched, but more that we're aware that we have to get married eventually. It feels like a weird pressure that wasn't there before," she said looking at her hand on the counter. "How is everything going with..." Hermione then gestured to the bedroom.

"I think it's worse than I thought it would have been. We haven't spoken one word to each other today. And we only talked last night to say that we're not happy with the arrangement," Madelyn whispered. "I slept on the couch and I woke up from him slamming things shut in the kitchen," she said rolling her eyes.

"I'm not sure why you two were paired together but there has to be a reason," Hermione whispered back.

"I think that we were just the only people that didn't have soulmates and now forced to be together," Madelyn said, not trying to whisper anymore. 

They heard a door slam shut from the back as Malfoy walked out in an all-black suit and headed for the front door. As he opened the door, he looked over to the girls. 

"I'm heading out, not that you need to know," he spat as he left and the door shut behind him. 

"You see?" Madelyn said as she stood up. She walked over to the couch and turned to face Hermione. "This is the shit that I'm just going to have to deal with? Not just for a couple of months, but for the rest of my life!" Madelyn said almost yelling.