~ chapter 22 ~

A  couple of days had passed since Madelyn and Draco's conversation and they barely spoke two words to each other since. Madelyn spent the days in the library continuing her goal of reading all the books, which was impossible since there were thousands but it kept her mind busy. She was never really sure where Draco was but chose not to care because every thought that passed about him made her heart tear a little more.

---

The house-elf frantically prepared for the Christmas party that was the day after. Following breakfast, many of the members staying at the manor were spread throughout the home, helping to prepare as some of the guests would be arriving a day prior to the party and were staying a night or two. Madelyn wasn't informed of a task to complete since Lucius seemed to have been the one giving them out, but she decided to help the house-elf with his endless list.

"Master Jones, what a surprise to see you on this day," the house-elf spoke as he turned away from the oven.

"Lakby, please call me Madelyn," she laughed, "I thought I could help you."

"Lakby is grateful for Madelyn's help but Lakby doesn't need her help," he explained as he closed the oven and proceeded to top a dessert with icing.

"I insist. There must be something I can do, no matter how little."

"Madelyn could clean a few dishes, but Lakby doesn't require her to," he offered, hesitantly.

"That would be lovely," she beamed.

They continued the polite conversation as they worked diligently, with Madelyn having to remind Lakby of her preferred name at times. She explained her day to day life and Lakby thoroughly listened to her stories. He requested that his personal life remain unknown as his masters would not be pleased. 

"Would Madelyn like to try a freshly picked carrot from Master's garden?" 

"Yes, please," she said, "this is lovely. What's for dinner tonight?"

"Lakby will be preparing a roast."

The door opened to reveal Draco carrying in a wooden box full of assorted vegetables which were then placed on a nearby counter.

"Master, Lakby would've carried that. Lakby is ashamed and sorry for his unfinished task," Lakby pleaded as he ran over to Draco and grabbed his hand.

"It's alright," Draco snapped, trying to calm him and then met eyes with the other member in the room. "Jones."

"Draco."

He seemed inquisitive as he looked behind Madelyn to see the sink and the plate she was drying. 

"Are you cleaning the dishes?"

"Yes, I thought Lakby could use the help," Madelyn said with a slight tick in her voice.

"Lakby begged for Master Jones to not help, but she insisted," Lakby shrieked.

"It's alright, Lakby. Have you two had lunch?" Draco asked with an eyebrow raised.

Both Madelyn and Lakby shook their heads.

"I'll make lunch," Draco said with his usual stern face and tone, but he seemed more - lively.

"Master does not need to serve Lakby, Lakby will serve Master," Lakby begged as he grabbed onto Draco's pant leg while the pale man walked over to the stove.

"I insist," Draco said, then turned his head to meet eyes with the girl across the room, keeping his smirk to a minimum.

Madelyn couldn't help but let out a subtle smirk of her own but then quickly hid it when grabbing for another dish out of the sink. That man couldn't ever seem to leave her head and it killed her. She loved the version of Draco that wasn't a total arse and showed a different side of himself that many never got to see, but he always seemed to ruin it somehow. He was brilliant at ruining things, it seemed.