~ chapter 18 ~

A letter slapped the coffee table, jolting Madelyn awake. She let her eyes wander the room before finding Draco, in his usual attire, sitting on the armchairs diagonal from her. Quickly, she sat up and fixed her hair.

"You fucking scared me," Madelyn shrieked as she looked at the man. 

"My mother sent me a letter," Draco spat.

"You woke me up for that?" Madelyn snapped while adjusting the way she looked. 

"My parents want you to invite your parents to their holiday party and stay a couple of nights," Draco snapped back. 

"My parents?" Madelyn snatched the unfolded letter and began skimming it. "Wait your father is back already," Madelyn asked as she looked up to him. 

"Yes," he spat quickly. "Are you going to invite your parents?" 

"You're going to meet my parents at a party? I'm not even sure if they'll go," Madelyn said as she stared at the letter. 

"When else will I meet them?" he spat. Madelyn paused and looked at Draco as he sat back on the armchair.

"I'm not dealing with this right now," Madelyn said as she got up. "Today is supposed to be fun, so the last thing I'm going to do is think about my parents."

"You need to invite them," Draco shouted as Madelyn walked into the bedroom and followed behind.

"I'll fucking send them a letter tomorrow," she yelled into her drawers as she searched for a pair of jeans and a baggy shirt. 

"You better not forget," Draco spat at her. Madelyn flipped around to face the man.

"What the hell is with your attitude today?" Madelyn turned back around to her drawer, slammed it shut, and then began walking to the bathroom. "If I said I'll do it tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow. The fucking dance is today and I'm not going to worry about that right now," Madelyn spat as she slammed the bathroom door shut.

The week leading up to the dance was filled with excitement. Many fourth and fifth-year students were still trying to find dates to the dance which made for entertaining dinners many times for Madelyn, Draco, and his friends. The boys in the group were still not thrilled about going but were excited about the pre-dance drinking. 

After Madelyn's shower, she put on the clothes she grabbed and got partially ready for the day. She walked out to the living room to find Draco sitting in the same armchair, reading the first few pages of one of her books. He looked over as she walked in and said, "Have you calmed down?" then tossed her book back onto the coffee table. 

"Right, I'm the one that needs to calm down," Madelyn said sarcastically as she continued her walk to the fridge. She grabbed out milk and a box of cereal from a cabinet and made her breakfast. As she sat down at the table, he walked over and placed one of his hands on the table to gain her attention.

"Hawthorne told us he's going to propose over break."

"I heard lots of people are doing that, even Ron," Madelyn said before scooping a spoon full of cereal. 

"I'm not surprised since we all have to be married before the end of the school year," Draco spat down at his hand that rested on the table. Madelyn nodded sarcastically since it wasn't new information. "When should we - get married?" Draco asked. The harshness in his voice had vanished. She nearly choked on her breakfast as she heard the end of his question. After a few coughs, she looked up to him awkwardly, unsure of what to say. She'd thought about it before, but never really came up with an answer. Even if she did know the answer, she would've still felt strange talking about their wedding when she can't even consider them dating.