~ chapter 20 ~

The train jerked Madelyn awake as they arrived. She looked out the window to find a dimly lit train station with parents impatiently waiting for their children. This was going to be her first time coming home from Hogwarts and not seeing her own parents as she got off. Although she didn't get along with them, they were still her parents and still wanted to be able to feel like a kid before being forced into marriage. 

Ginny grabbed at Madelyn's arm to ask if she was ready to get off and Madelyn nodded with her signature, vague smile. Madelyn dreaded the thought of seeing Draco's mother and even worse, Draco. She was still unsure if Lucius would be another member waiting for the two to get off the train, and the thought could make her sick.

She followed her friends off the train before saying her goodbyes. At that moment, all she wanted to do was to be able to stay at the Weasley's over Christmas and eat some of Mrs. Weasley's famous turkey but instead was stuck with the Malfoy's who were nowhere near as inviting. After, she made her way down the platform, eventually finding the pale man in search of something, which she assumed was herself. Slowly, she faltered up to Draco and Theo, who stood a few feet away from the stairs off the train. 

She found out days prior to their departure that Theo would be another guest joining the two over their break. Madelyn never considered her and Theo close but anyone would stop the uncomfortable encounter with the famous, Lucius Malfoy. 

"Where have you been?" Draco snapped, with his eyebrows furrowed.

"With my friends," Madelyn said blankly, then turning to meet Theo's eyes. "Hello, Theo."

"Goodevening, Madelyn," Theo said back politely.

"My mother has been waiting," Draco spat as he yanked Madelyn's bag from her hands. 

Madelyn scoffed quietly at the slight pain that rushed to her hand before walking alongside Theo and watching the pale man walk quickly over to his mother. She noticed that Lucius was not there, waiting for them, which only brought back the nerves she'd been feeling for days. 

--------------------------

The path from the gate to the house seemed to take less time as there were two new individuals walking with them than the time before. Narcissa kept the walk talkative as she felt the need to update Draco on every new detail in her life, especially about the party. It was remarkable to Madelyn at how well Draco was at keeping the same neutral face to everything she said. She was surprised that Narcissa kept the same energy throughout the conversation because Madelyn felt that Draco was sucking up every ounce of her's. As they approached the front door, Narcissa lightly waved her wand, unlocking and opening the door for the group to walk through. 

The house was very much the same in the aspect of its largeness and chill but had a much different atmosphere, it felt homely. It seemed like every inch of the house had holiday decor, whether it be garlands or expensive, delicate objects. There was also a large Christmas tree placed in the corner of the sitting room to the left, next to the running fireplace. Madelyn could feel all her worries flush away but eventually stopping when Narcissa called for the name she was dreading to hear.

"Lucius!"

Fuck, she thought.

Narcissa placed her fur coat on the coat rack next to the door, then indicating for the three to follow. 

"Now, Lucius, where have you gone?" Narcissa asked herself as she walked into the kitchen.

Madelyn watched the two boys who stood beside her and at that moment, would have done anything to have read their minds. Their emotions didn't give her any indication of if they were anxious for the man to walk through the doors, in fact, they gave no emotion at all. Draco's expression didn't surprise her but Theo's did. Although he was a quiet boy, Madelyn never saw a time where he showed no emotion.