~ chapter 8 ~

A light beamed into her eyes from an open part of the curtain, waking Madelyn up. She raised her hand to her head as a pounding began. She sat up to move her head from the little sliver of light and after moments of letting her eyes adjust, she swung her legs off the couch and went to make coffee. As the coffee was brewing, Madelyn sat on the counter watching every drop and grabbed a mug when the final drops fell.

Madelyn looked up and saw Malfoy walking out of the bedroom, running his hands through his bed hair. She quickly propped herself off the counter and filled her mug as he walked over. As she was finishing pouring the liquid into her mug, Malfoy squeezed behind her to get a mug for himself. She caught her breath as he reached up into a cabinet to grab a mug. As Madelyn picked up hers, the two strangers met eyes, but was quickly stopped when Madelyn walked to the table. 

He poured his liquid and walked to the table, sitting on the far side, across from her. They rarely sat at the table together, mostly due to their different mornings. But it felt different this time. It felt like there was less tension and more curiosity. It was as if they both didn't know how to act after being around each other the night before.

Madelyn slowly sipped her coffee to make sure not to burn her tongue. Between sips, she would stare at the carvings of the wood on the table or at the birds flying around, out the window. Then, periodically, she would look over to the boy on the other side of the table. In the mornings, he almost always read the newspaper. At each flip of the page, she would look over to him, then back down before he noticed.

She took the last gulp, placed her mug in the sink, and walked into the bathroom to shower.

---------------------------

After she blow-dried her hair, she sat at the vanity and put makeup on, Malfoy took a shower while she did. 

--------------------------

Madelyn wasn't quite hungry yet so she began to clean the kitchen. She wiped down each of the counters and cleaned all the dishes and as she was, Malfoy walked out with his bag.

"I'm going to breakfast. Did you care to join," he asked emotionlessly as he leaned against the counter, looking at her. She met eyes with him while she was almost blushing at the question. His blonde hair fell perfectly on his head as he waited for the response. They rarely talked in the mornings, so it was strange for her to hear him speak. 

"I'm going to finish cleaning, then I'll go down and eat," she said, looking back at the sink. She peeked over to watch him walk out the door with no further response from him.

------------------------

When she was finished cleaning almost the whole kitchen, she got her shoes on, grabbed her bag, and walked out the door, heading to the great hall. 

She opened one of the Great Hall doors when she arrived. She looked over to the Gryffindor table but there was no sign of any of her friends, which wasn't a surprise since the couples had kitchens in their suites. But, she was hoping that she wouldn't have to sit alone. As she began to walk to her table, she heard her name being shouted from the opposite side. 

"Jones!" Madelyn saw as Blaise shouted with his hands to his mouth. A tiny smile crept from her mouth as he waved her over. She slowly walked over, unsure of what to expect. They had fun the night before, but she was unsure if there was still a dislike towards her. Her heartbeat was harder and faster as she reached the table. She noticed Malfoy and Jack were talking and was a bit surprised at how quickly Malfoy's mood could change towards his friends.

"Sit down, Jones," Jack said, smirking up at Madelyn. Madelyn looked over to Malfoy for approval, making him nod. She sat across from the three boys and next to Pansy, with Fay on Pansy's right. Pansy slid closer to Fay as she essentially hissed as Madelyn sat down. Madelyn didn't have the same confidence as the night before which made her uncomfortable being around people she didn't know. The conversations continued as Madelyn began to eat. 

"Guess who got to hit last night?" Blaise announced to the group while grinning.

"No way mate," Jack said hitting Blaise's arm, congratulating him. All the boys chuckled as Blaise shook his head up and down. 

"You and Blaise had sex?" Fay asked Pansy as Pansy hid her face in her hands. 

"Not my best moment," Pansy mumbled into her hands. 

"I mean you will be with him, forever," Malfoy said still chuckling. Madelyn felt uncomfortable hearing about their sex lives, mostly because she didn't consider them to be her friends and she knew they felt the same. Madelyn continued to eat, periodically looking up at the group.

"When is the last time you got some arse, Malfoy?" Blaise asked, trying to brag about his latest achievement. Malfoy froze and looked down at the table, hitting his leftover food with his fork. Madelyn could see how uncomfortable he was to answer the question, not because of the question itself, but at the extra guest who sat with them today. He cleared his throat.

"It's been a while," Malfoy choked out. 

"Who was it?" Jack now asked. 

"A chick from Ravenclaw over the summer." The other two boys laughed.

"They are mostly stuck up bitches, I'm surprised they let you hit," Jack laughed taking another bite of the eggs from his plate. 

"Why on Earth would you ever have sex with a Ravenclaw?" Pansy said in disgust. 

"You have no room to talk about who I'm fucking. You had sex with him," Malfoy said pointing to Blaise. All the boys laughed again while Pansy hissed at Malfoy. These were not conversations that Madelyn was used to. Her group seemed like prudes compared to Malfoy's friends. Also, Madelyn had never been with anyone like that before. 

Today, the students had fewer classes since it was a Tuesday and they were eighth years. Madelyn took the last bite of her food before pushing her plate aside. Madelyn shuffled around in her bag to try and give herself something to do as she waited for their conversations to end. 

"In a rush, Jones?" Jack asked sarcastically. She whipped her head up.

"Um, no, just making sure I had my homework," Madelyn said nervously. 

"Ooh, now we are back to goody goody, Jones," he said back, hitting Blaise's arm. Madelyn felt embarrassed by his statement and shoved her bag next to her leg.

"Nothing wrong with that," Malfoy said looking down at the table. Madelyn looked over to him, making them eventually make eye contact. His face looked stern but his eyes said otherwise. Madelyn gave a tiny smirk, allowing only Malfoy to see, then looked back down. 

"We should head to potions," Fay said breaking the silence that Madelyn hadn't notice before. 

They all got up and began heading for the door. Madelyn walked behind the group, still unsure how to act around them. Malfoy walked with his hands in his pockets in the middle of the two boys, with their partners on either side of them. Malfoy peeked behind to see Madelyn following the group, watching her feet as each step was taken. Malfoy slowed down, making the group follow along. He nudged his right arm to Blaise, having him scoot over, and waved Madelyn over to fill the space between the two boys. Malfoy lightly grinned to himself as he looked forward and kept walking, making sure no one saw his expression. But Madelyn saw it, which made her smile and watch the ground once again.