~ chapter 5 ~

Madelyn woke up from the hard, uncomfortable couch and slowly sat up, grabbing her back and rubbing, trying to relieve the pain. Today was the first day of classes for older students. Madelyn felt excited to be able to do anything other than sit in her suite. Her friends have been busy trying to get to know their partners and go on dates. She was jealous of the excitement they all had for their new lives, while she was stuck with Malfoy. 

She got up and grabbed a cup of coffee that had already been brewed and leaned against one of the counters, looking out the window from across the room to see the rain slither down the glass. Madelyn loved the gloomy weather because it strangely brought her happiness. She gulped the last couple of sips down as she realized the time and hurried to the bathroom. As Madelyn was walking into the room, Malfoy was walking out to the kitchen. He looked like he had been awake for a while, but not anywhere near ready for the day. They rarely ever made eye contact or even spoke so it was not unusual for them to not acknowledge each other's presence. 

Madelyn took a quick shower and put on a snug black skirt and a grey sweater with her red Gryffindor tie. She blow-dried her hair and put a couple of loose curls in so that her hair wasn't straight. As she began to brush through her curls, she heard a couple of knocks at the door. 

"Come in?" Madelyn called out, confused. Malfoy hurried in and put a comb through his hair. She watched him through the mirror, as she continued. It was strange for them to be in the bathroom at the same time. He didn't use as much gel anymore and usually let his hair fall wherever it desired. He met eyes with her through the mirror, making hers drop. She placed her brush on the counter and left the bathroom to put a bit of makeup on at her vanity. As she was finishing applying her mascara, Malfoy rushed out, grabbed his bag, and walked out of the bedroom. She rolled her eyes as she felt the anger rise in her, thinking about how he couldn't wait one more minute for her. 

Once finished, she slid on her shoes, grabbed her bag, and rushed out of her bedroom. She completely stopped in her tracks as she saw Malfoy waiting for her next to the front door. He was looking down, leaning on the wall with his hands in his pockets. She walked over hesitantly and as they made eye contact, he grabbed for the handle and held it open for Madelyn to walk through. He followed behind. 

They walked to class together, which felt strange to Madelyn. She let her eyes wander to her left to see how Malfoy was reacting, but his expression seemed blank the whole time. They reached their potions class and she wasn't sure if she should sit with her friends or with Malfoy. But, her question was soon answered as Malfoy sat to her right. The other couples walked in and everyone seemed cheerful which was the opposite reaction for Madelyn and Malfoy. As Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny walked in, they all smiled and waved to her. Madelyn pushed the pain aside and waved back. All the couples talked as Malfoy and Madelyn sat in painful silence. Eventually, Pansy and Blaise came and sat across from the two. Madelyn jolted up as she saw them sit. 

"Hey Draco," Pansy said with a smile.

"Malfoy!" Blaise yelled, laughing as he reached out his hand to give Malfoy the classic teenage boy handshake. Malfoy grinned and reached out his hand. He felt uncomfortable acting like himself around Madelyn or anyone he dispised.

"I'm surprised you made it to class after last night," Malfoy said smirking at Blaise. Malfoy was gone almost every night and came home late most of the time. Madelyn was always curious about where he went but never planned to have that conversation with him. She felt she shouldn't be sitting with them, listening to their conversation which made her begin run her fingers left and right across the wood tracing on the table to give herself something to do other than stare at the three talking. 

"Speak for yourself," Blaise said laughing. 

"You two are idiots. Blaise had way too many shots last night and I could say that same for you Draco," Pansy shouted causing Malfoy and Blaise to chuckle. 

"You know that stuff could help you loosen up, Pansy. Maybe you wouldn't act like there is a stick up your arse all the time" Blaise said nudging Pansy. Pansy swiped her elbow towards herself and scoffed. Blaise continued to laugh to himself then looked up to Madelyn, who was trying to find anything to do other than listen. 

"I'm sure it would help Jones," Blaise said with a smug smile on his face. Madelyn raised her head and met eyes with the man, then with Pansy who had a vile look. Blood rushed to her face as the attention was on her. She went into her bag and grabbed her book for the class to try to stop the stares. 

"Gryffindors don't do the same shit we do. They are too stuck up for that," Malfoy said with arrogance as Madelyn put her book on the table. Blaise scoffed and turned back to her.

"Do you drink?" Blaise smugly asked Madelyn. Madelyn looked at Malfoy to see if she should respond but he kept his eyes on the boy across from them. She looked back to Blaise and nodded. 

"Not such a good girl, are you Jones?" Blaise asked making himself chuckle. Madelyn flipped to a random page in her book as she felt her cheeks glow red. 

"Don't say shit like that," Malfoy spat. Malfoy dropped his smirk and brought back his stern face as he flipped through his book. Blaise rose his hands in surrender. 

The class was much bigger due to it containing double the amount of students as normal. The school wanted to keep the seventh and eighth years together, as much as they could since they learned the same things in the classes. Everyone became silent as Professor Slughorn entered the room. The professor greeted everyone and briefly discussed what to expect for the year. He made a couple of jokes about the couples and the law, which created a few laughs. He then began the lecture and started with a pretty basic potion. Malfoy groaned once he heard the potion, wishing there was a more complex one they would be learning about. 

Class felt like it ended much slower than it started for Madelyn. As she began to pack up, she watched as her friends got up and left, laughing as they walked out from something Ron said. Madelyn closed her book and shoved it in her bag.

"I can't believe they added another class to our schedule just because of this fucking law," Pansy spat as she got up and grabbed her bag. 

"I bet we just sit there and have to talk about our feelings and how much we love our new fiances," Blaise said sarcastically and then winked at Pansy. Pansy looked disgusted but had a light smile hidden.

"What a fucking waste of time," Malfoy spat as he got up from his seat. Madelyn had no idea what to expect from the marriage class. Madelyn followed the three out of the classroom while being ignored. As they got out of the classroom, she noticed her friends were waiting for her. Madelyn smiled and ran over to them as she felt relief that she wasn't being ignored.

"It feels like I haven't seen you guys in forever," Madelyn shrieked to her group.

"I know! Ron and I have just been busy figuring things out between us," Hermione said squeezing onto his arm. 

"We all haven't hung out in a while. Maybe we should tonight," Harry said with his big, classic smile. 

"Brilliant!" Ginny yelled. 

"We could hang out in my room if you would like," Hermione said to the group and everyone agreed. 

"You've got eyes on you," Ron said nodding his head in the direction of Malfoy. Madelyn turned around to see Malfoy looking at her as he stood with his group. She gave a signal that she was going to walk with her friends to class, then she flipped back around.

"How's that going?" Harry asked.

"Pretty much the same as the day it started," Madelyn looked down to her feet in embarrassment. It seemed like all the other couples had it figured out already, even Pansy and Blaise were somewhat trying, but she and Malfoy were in the same place. Hermione rubbed her back while Madelyn cleared her throat. "Let's go to marriage class," Madelyn jokingly said and lead them on their way.