~ chapter 10 ~

Madelyn had fallen asleep before Malfoy got home. She hung out with her friends the night before and it felt just like any other time. Madelyn no longer felt the pressure of her relationship between her and Malfoy. Excitement was all she felt as she never knew what to expect when she was around him. The excitement wasn't in a romantic way, just more of a unpredictable friendship, although she did find the man to be attractive. All through life, she grew up with things being predictable but always wanted the feeling of being on her toes and never knowing what to expect.

Her group drank a little bit that night and just talked about the funny things that happened between their partners. They didn't always drink but it was always fun to break out the whiskey. Madelyn saw Harry and Ginny have gotten closer than they were weeks prior which made her feel happy about their future. All Madelyn could do was feel excited for all of them. They deserved it after everything they all have been through.

Madelyn got up and brewed her coffee as usual. She wasn't out too late, mostly because Hermione loved going to bed early. She grabbed a mug and leant against the counter watching blankly at the coffee dripping. Once finished, she poured and sat at the table, sipping slowly at the freshly brewed cup. After nearly ten minutes of sitting at the table and watching the sunrise, she finished her drink. Malfoy was still not up and she didn't want to walk in, so she grabbed the morning paper to give herself something to do while she waited. She never properly sat and read it before but she had nothing else to do. 

The front page read, "Parents Enraged at Law Enforced for Hogwarts Students". There were various statements from parents expressing their opinion on the topic. Madelyn was shocked to hear the news because she only thought the students would be upset and never gave thought to what the parents would think. 

Madelyn became distant with her parents starting her fourth year. Her parents were more worried about their own lives than hers in which they stopped sending letters throughout the years and would ignore the ones she sent. Most of her time was spent at the Weasley's house since they barely spoke when she was home. She knew her parents mustn't have cared much about the law since she hadn't received anything from them but she wanted them to have some sort of opinion towards it. She slammed the paper down on the table and rested her chin on her hand, closed her eyes, and allowed for the tears to drop onto the table. 

"What's wrong?" Malfoy asked with his groggy morning voice. Madelyn panicked, quickly wiping the tears off her face and clearing her voice, while keeping her head low so he couldn't see her face. 

"Nothing," she snapped.

"Clearly something is wrong," Malfoy said with an irritated tone. He got close to the table and placed his hand on one of the chairs next to Madelyn. 

"I said, nothing!" Madelyn spat as she shoved her chair out from the table and walked towards the sink. She was angry at her parents and even more upset that Malfoy saw her in a weak moment. She placed her mug in and walked to the bathroom. 

---------------------------

After her shower, she changed into her normal school attire and walked out to her vanity. Madelyn assumed Malfoy was in the kitchen still since he wasn't in the room. She covered her red, puffy eyes with concealer and proceeded with the rest of her makeup, then went back into her bathroom to blow dry her hair.

Madelyn was finished getting ready earlier than she normally would be, but she didn't want to go out to the living room and be confronted by Malfoy so she grabbed a book and layed on her side of the bed. After a few pages were flipped, Malfoy finally came in to get ready. He stopped abruptly at the door at the sight of Madelyn on the bed. She could see him from the corner of her eye, but she wasn't up for having a conversation.

-------------------------

After a couple of trips, back and forth from the closet to the bathroom, Malfoy walked out of the bathroom ready for the day. Madlyn noticed him checking himself out in the vanity, making her place her book on the nightstand as she got up. She reached for her robe and as she was, Malfoy broke the tension.

"Tell me why you were crying," he said harshly as he adjusted his tie in the mirror.

"It's not that serious," Madelyn said as she rolled her eyes and began walking towards the door. The thought of telling anyone about her parents made her want to die. A cold hand was placed onto her wrist then was pulled back. She felt her lungs tighten as she was inches from Malfoy's face.

"Did I stutter?" he asked with his same tone. She jerked her eyes away from his.

"Let go of me," she said shaking her arm, trying to break away from him.

"Answer my question first. Did it have something to do with the paper? I saw you had it." 

"Yes, Malfoy," she spat as she broke away. "I have shitty parents who can't even give a fuck that their only daughter being forced to marry a fucking Malfoy," she yelled across the room.

"And what's wrong with being a Malfoy?" he called out, keeping the same energy.

"Nothing! But they don't even care to know who the fuck I'm marrying," her voice began to crack. A tear fell halfway down her cheek before being smack away. She looked away at something to her left, not willing to stare at the harsh face he was displaying. Malfoy walked up to her, placing his cold hand on her face with his thumb rubbing her cheek, making her look up, into his eyes. His face softened at the sight of watery eyes. She didn't know how to react to the man trying to comfort her. This side of him had never been shown to her before, but she still hated showing her weakness so she pushed his hand away and turned around.

"Let's just go," she said, walking out. 

-------------------------------------

The walk to Charms class was silent. Madelyn felt strange seeing that side of Malfoy and Malfoy hated showing it. They arrived and she walked down the aisle of seats with Malfoy following. It was the first time that week they had that class. Madelyn pulled out her book for class and then heard her name called out behind her. Hermione and Ron sat in the row behind, bringing a smile to her face. 

"Hey!" Madelyn said to her friends. Malfoy turned his head to see who she was talking to then back. 

"Hey Mady!" Hermione said back.

"Hey," Ron said after.

"I'm glad we got to hang out last night. It felt like it's been ages."

"I know," Hermione said. "We need to do it again soon."

"Maybe next time we can stay up past eleven," Ron laughed, making Madelyn join in.

"Maybe," Hermione smirked. "Hey Ginny! Hey Harry!" she said, looking over as Harry and Ginny walked in. They greeted them and sat next to Ron. 

Madelyn turned around as part of the class became quite as Professor Flitwick walked in.

"Malfoy!" Blaise shouted as he greeted Malfoy, who laughed and gave the handshake. Madelyn looked over to see the interaction and then met eyes with Blaise. 

"Jones!" Blaise shouted again and held his hand out to do the handshake. Her friends behind her began to laugh, making Madelyn join in. She reached her hand out behind Malfoy, not sure what to do, but Blaise took control. Blaise pumped his fist into the air as if it was an accomplishment to get Madelyn to do it. She giggled as she adjusted back into her seat. 

"Why do you have red eyes, Madelyn? Were you crying this morning?" Pansy asked sarcastically, forcing Madelyn's smile to drop.

"Fuck off Pansy," Malfoy spat at her. A smile crept onto her face and peeked over to Malfoy who continued a conversation with Blaise.