Chapter Nine-EXPECTO PATRONUM

Chapter song- Are you gonna be my girl by Jet

"After the recent dementor acts Dumbledore and I find it necessary to teach you the Patronus charm in order to protect yourselves if you ever find yourself in a dangerous situation." My Dad spoke from the top of the stairs by his office. The classroom had been cleared of desks and everyone gathered in the centre. The golden trio and I stood at the front of the class. A small shuffle from behind drew my attention to the fact that Draco was now standing next to me, a smile reaching all the way up to his eyes. The sunlight beaming through the tall narrow windows, that lined the room, caused his icy blue eyes to glisten. Draco smirked, leaning in, "staring again are we?" He whispered. His hot minty breath hit my neck stirring up something inside of me. I sighed, turning to face the front as my Dad continued to witter on about the importance of concentrating on your happiest memory whilst casting the spell. I couldn't help but wonder what everyone's memories would be. I've thought about this for a while and I still have no idea what mine is. My dad began to explain that this spell isn't usually taught at Hogwarts and that only fourth years and up would be learning it. "Now find a space, wands at the ready." He commanded. Everyone dispersed slightly, taking out their wands and finding the correct stance. "Now Expecto Patronum!" My Dad boomed and with a flick of his wand, a bright light illuminated the room. Gasps could be heard throughout the class, even the Slytherins were impressed. I always loved watching my dads perform this spell. "Now you try." He smiled.

I tried my very hardest to think of my happiest memory but I just can't think of something powerful enough. The room around flourished with blue and white wispy lights that slowly formed various different animals and the words "Expecto Patronum!" filled the air. "Expecto Patronum!" nothing. I tried multiple different memories. My family, birthdays, my best friend Beatrix from Beauxbatons, Aira and times I'd spent with Harry. Absolutely nothing worked. Looking around the room I noticed everyone had pretty much managed to conjure a Patronus apart from Draco and me. Our eyes met, he shrugged giving up and heading to lean on the wall. Let's try this a few more times, okay running through the halls with Fred, I smiled at the thought and tried again. "Expecto Patronum!" A Small slither of white light appeared and disappeared. "Very good J keep trying!" my dad spoke enthusiastically. Okay, let's try again. The first time Fred called me beautiful and that evening in the tower. The memory flew through my mind and I tried again, but still only achieving a small light. The first time Draco called me beautiful in the broom cupboard flashed through my mind and a stronger light emitted from the end of my wand. "Magnificent Jules, one more time." my dad encouraged. Right, every moment shared with Draco for the past week passed through my mind, "Expecto Patronum," a strong blue light flew from my wand but didn't form into a Patronus. The few members of the class that were stood around me clapped and cheered at my final achievement. God, I love this place, my heart warming at the sight of my fellow students cheering me on. One smile caught my eye from the corner of the room, Draco. He seemed almost proud. "Well done everyone you should be extremely pleased with yourselves, class dismissed." my dad spoke, clapping and smiling. The class cleared out, I stuck around to have a quick chat with dad. "Oh Mr Malfoy, would you come here quickly please?" my father asked politely. Draco moved across the room, but the absence of his usually confident strut was obvious. "Yes sir?" he asked coyly. "I was thinking considering both you and Jules are struggling to cast a Patronus that you could work together and practice outside of class." he enquired. A smirk appeared on Draco's face, "It'd be my pleasure, sir." he replied. "Wonderful, you both may go." father beamed. "See you at dinner Dad." I smiled exiting the room with Draco. We rounded the corner heading towards potions class when Draco grabbed my waist, pushed me against the wall and whispered "if that isn't fate I don't know what is." his hand made its way from my waist to my cheek and up through my hair, I leaned into his touch. "What are you doing to me?" I breathed heavily. "I could say the same to you love," he smirked. He pushed off the wall, pulling me with him. 

We made our way to potions just in time. We were sat on the last row, pretty much out of sight of Snape as he droned on about the dangers of Amortentia and also its purposes. I'd already read over all of this in hope of catching up with the rest of the class, I sighed placing my chin in my hand. Snape's slow monotone voice sending me off to sleep. I felt Draco shift in his chair slightly and a cold, soft hand rest on my thigh. Woah! My eyes widen and shoot Draco a deadly stare. He giggles but doesn't remove his hand. I try to ignore the butterflies erupting in my stomach as his thumb slowly grazes my inner thigh. "Miss Lupin-Black what is the word "Amortentia" derived from?" Snape questioned awakening me from my trance. "Oh, Amor is a Roman god of love, and the word Amour in French means Love, the second part of the word Tentia is also Latin for held. Which perfectly describes the purpose of the potion to cause a powerful infatuation or obsession from the drinker." I replied rather proud of my research before the lesson. "Very good," Snape smiled. Did he wait did he really just smile at me? Has anyone ever actually seen him smile? "Snape likes you." Draco giggled. "I honestly didn't think he would," I laughed, Draco squeezed my thigh slightly causing my breath to hitch. He leaned forward, his warm breath hitting my neck, "I love the effect I have over you," he smirked.

The class continued on and we were assigned the first part of our project, to write up our research on the potion and also try to guess what we would smell. "Class dismissed," Snape boomed, exiting to the potions cupboard. "Shall we start work after the feast?" Draco asked passing my books to me. "Yeah, sure where do you wanna study?" I questioned heading for the door. He followed close behind, "I was thinking the room of requirement." he confessed. "I have no clue where that is." I laughed. "I'll grab you after dinner." he smiled. Once again we were the only two left in the classroom. Walking out of the rather small round door I found Fred waiting outside his smile bright as always. "Oh Hey, Fred!" I smiled trying to hide how happy I was to see him. I hadn't really seen him today, I was hoping I would sit with him in the common room before dinner. "Hello there, gorgeous." his words bringing a slight blush to my cheeks. "I heard from a certain Hufflepuff that you were hoping to explore the castle, you down?" he smirked. His smile dropped as a hand landed at the bottom of my back, "Are you sure you don't want me to show you around darling?" Draco smirked down at me, knowing for well he was stepping on Fred's toes. Fred's entire face screwed up in anger, taking a step forward towards us. "Back off Malfoy." Fred blazed, his tone was dark and menacing. Well, that was kinda something, did not expect that from Fred. Who knew the fun-loving jokester had a protective side. "Oooo Weasley's got a crush." Draco teased. "Stop it both of you" I shouted stepping into the middle of the bickering boys. "Fred lets go, Draco I will see you after dinner." I declared walking away from the pair. "WHAT!" they both gasped, staring furiously at each other.