seven

"Mason! Quit pulling me!"

The boy finally stopped in his tracks once he reached an empty hallway with no students in it, turning to look at Holland.

"Listen, I just really need to talk to you,"

"That involved pulling me out into the middle of the hallway?"

"Look, I realized something really important and I need to talk to you about it,"

Holland froze for a second, realizing that Mason had just been in the crowd with the rest of the school, watching that performance. A performance that had her dead brother in it. Holland tried to keep her composure, praying that this isn't what this conversation was about. There was no way that it was, she only ever talked about him, the only person that ever saw a picture of him was Julie. Flynn didn't even see it the other day.

"Okay..."

"I've been a jerk, okay?" Mason fessed up, shrugging his shoulders as he looked at her. "I've been a horrible boyfriend, and you have every right to not want to speak to me for...I don't know, as long as you want? But I'm going to try to be better, I'm going to stop hanging out with Carrie-"

"You seriously think this is still about Carrie?" the look of confusion of Mason's face was enough of an answer. "You know, every fight we've had lately might've started with Carrie, but it's moved way past her now. You know how much my brother means to me, how much those boys mean to me, and you thought it was okay to say what you did?"

"Holls, I regretted it the second I said it-"

"But you still said it, Mason. And that's the problem," Holland interjected again with a sigh. "I don't want to speak to you right now, and that's my choice. We will talk through this when I'm ready to talk about it, but I'm not. I want you to go into a crate like a little puppy and think about what you said."

"You're being unfair-"

"I'm being very fair right now, you don't want to see what unfair is. Just...go, Mason,"

The boy gave a huff, muttering an 'unbelievable' under his breath before he took off out of the empty corridor and back toward hid next class. Holland shut her eyes, taking a deep breath for a second before turning around, only to jump at the sight of the three boys standing behind her.

"My sister is a total badass!" Reggie exclaimed with a grin as Holland's eyes widened.

"Did you guys seriously watch all of that happen?" they all exchanged a look before nodding. "Guys, privacy is a thing that people really value these days."

"Holland he's right," Alex chimed in, pointing off down the hallway. "That right there was amazing, you handled yourself like a champ!"

"That's because mom raised me not to take shit from men," she told the boys, looking back down the empty hallway to make sure no one would think she's talking to herself before looking back at the boys. "Did it work? Is Julie back in the program?"