twelve

Santa Monica was the last place that Holland thought she was going to be on a Wednesday afternoon/evening, but it wasn't the most surprising

Santa Monica was the last place that Holland thought she was going to be on a Wednesday afternoon/evening, but it wasn't the most surprising. No, the most surprising was that she was here to spend time with a ghost.

Locking her car and stepping out in the warm breeze that surrounded her, Holland immediately slipped in a single headphone so she didn't look as if she was talking to herself for the duration of the afternoon. In that moment, Luke appeared out of thin air in front of her. The long flannel jacket was a familiar sight to Holland, having seen him wear it an abundance of times now.

"I would really question the flannel jacket," Holland gestured to his jacket before looking at her own outfit: ripped jeans and a tank top. "But I guess you are a ghost, you probably can't feel the heat."

"Well, I've seen the way you stare at it when I wear it," Luke couldn't help the smirk as Holland rolled her eyes. "Come on! Adventure awaits us!"

Walking along the boardwalk of the Santa Monica pier, Holland held a smile on her face as she looked around at the little shops and games that lined the pier, the  ferris wheel looming overtop high in the sky.

What Holland was most interested in, though, was the grin on Luke's face as he stopped, watching and cheering on a little kid as he played one of the games. He spared a glance back at Holland, a smirk covering his lips as she quickly avoided his gaze as he fell into step with her once more.

"The pier was your brother's favorite place back before we died," Luke told her as multiple people walked straight through him. "Reggie loved the little shops, listening to the buskers. Alex and I only really tagged along for his sake, but we fell in love with it too. I had a lot of good memories here."

"Mom tries to avoid this place, but sometimes she comes back here. I think too many memories of Reggie are here," Holland explained to him. "Did you guys ever busk here?"

"Oh yeah, plenty of times. Did some acoustic versions of some of our songs, made quite a bit of money from it actually. Bobby never really liked coming,"

"Bobby was the fourth member of the band, right?"

"Yeah, we keep wondering what happened to him," he looked over at Holland. "What, your mom never mentioned him?"

"Just once or twice. She always said Reggie and you two were closer than any of you ever were with Bobby,"

"That is true, but he was a good friend back then. Julie's garage that we practiced in? It was Bobby's house,"

Holland brought herself over to the railing, leaning against it as she took in a deep breath, smelling the salt in the air from the ocean just beyond them.

"I concede," Holland finally told Luke, sparing him a glance. He was leaning against the railing, his back to the ocean and his eyes on her instead. "It feels nice to get out. I should really do it more often...maybe with some people that are alive though."