thirteen

Holland smiled as she looked down at the flyer in her hand: Julie and her Hologram Band, tonight at the Los Felix dance

Holland smiled as she looked down at the flyer in her hand: Julie and her Hologram Band, tonight at the Los Felix dance. She had to say, it was impressive of Flynn to not only book a gig, but to create a name for the band AND make the flyer.

"Holland!" the girl sighed, closing her eyes for a second as she continued to move down the hallway toward class, hearing the sound of Mason's voice as he ran toward her. "Holland! Baby, please, just let me talk."

The girl came to a stop as Mason skidded to one beside her. She raised an eyebrow, looking up at him.

"You have until I reach English class to speak. Other than that, I don't remember telling you I wanted to talk right now,"

Mason sighed as his girlfriend continued to walk away, catching up as he walked backwards beside her in order to look at her face.

"I have been a horrible boyfriend lately, and I know that," Holland scoffed, but he continued. "It's true. I've blown you off to hang with Carrie and her friends and what I said about your brother was totally unacceptable. I admit to all of it, and I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry."

"Mason, I just don't know what you want me to say," she shot back, feeling absolutely tired of the conversation even though it had just started. "It's one thing for you to tell me that you're sorry, it's another for you to show it. Actions speak a lot louder than words. You've been so secretively lately."

"You have too," Holland shot him a look, but he interjected before she could even speak. "Listen I saw you at the pep rally with that band. That guitarist? The way you looked at each other? You paid more attention to that hologram than you have to me in the last few weeks. And don't think I didn't realize you were wearing a sweatshirt that wasn't mine."

A feeling of panic set in as she looked over at her boyfriend, trying to keep herself as calm as possible. He was insinuating that she was cheating, which she wasn't, but she also couldn't tell him the truth at all.

"The sweatshirt was just an old one of my dad's that I found. And as for the guitarist, he's from Sweden. The entire band is. They're holograms, so please tell me how I'm cheating on you with a hologram because I know that's what you're insinuating," Mason sighed as Holland stared at him, realizing that there was only one way out of this conversation. "I appreciate the apology, so you get one last shot here. I'm not going to throw away two years over this, but I'm certainly not putting up with it anymore. So make it up to me."

"I will, by taking you to the dance tonight,"

Holland had a feeling that's what he was going to say. She knew she should say yes, but she also wanted to be right by Julie and Flynn's side as they prepared for the gig.

"Mason-"

"I know Julie's band is performing tonight, so it's perfect," he reached out, taking one of her hands in his as he sent her a small smile. "I'll make it memorable, like our first day to Homecoming two years ago. Just come, please."