twenty

The last thing Holland wanted was to be at Julie's house at seven in the morning, especially when they didn't leave for school for another half hour

The last thing Holland wanted was to be at Julie's house at seven in the morning, especially when they didn't leave for school for another half hour. But an urgent text from Julie that just said "BAND STUFF!!!!!" was enough to drag the slightly older girl out of bed before her alarm was even close to going off.

She let out a sigh as she made her way down the stairs toward the studio, already dreading the entire idea of the day ahead of her. With a week full of band practices, Holland had almost completely forgotten about the dance she had to perform with her cheating ex on Friday. And Friday was here, and she was ready to get it over with.

Holland could hear the soft chords of Luke's acoustic guitar as she pushed open the doors to the studio. A small smile crossed her face as she saw him sitting alone in the middle of the room, just a stool, mic and his guitar.

"How many times had Julie told you that you aren't allowed to play out here alone?" Luke looked up, startled for a minute before he smiled at the girl, putting his guitar down and grabbing his song journal. Holland threw her backpack on a chair as she moved forward, taking a seat on the stool just a few feet away. "Where are Julie and the guys? She said there was band stuff we needed to discuss."

"Oh, her dad just feels bad about blowing it for us with that management lady, so he and Flynn are organizing a concert right in the backyard tomorrow night," Luke gestured out the doors of the studio to the ample space before pointing toward the house. "I think Reggie and Alex are up there with her right now, probably talking about details. Or about Reggie's obsession with Julie's dad."

Holland laughed as she saw Luke glancing down at the song that the page was currently open to. She reached out to try and get a better look, but he quickly pulled it away from her.

"Lucas Patterson," he couldn't help but roll his eyes at the use of his full name, but looked over at her none the less. "We write songs together, so I know you are not keeping this one from me."

"It's not even finished," Luke tried to wave her off. "Julie wasn't sure if she wanted to do Edge of Great tomorrow or not and I was having ideas so I started writing them down. But I've only got, like, half of all the verses and she's too busy to help right now so."

Holland wasn't asking for permission this time, taking the notebook from his hands as he let out a sigh, giving up the fight.

"Perfect Harmony..." Holland trailed off, reading off the title with a little smile as she looked up at Luke. She reached to the side, grabbing one of the spare microphones Julie had laying around as she turned it on, facing Luke again. "Take it from the top, I'll see if I can fill in where you have blanks."

Luke hesitated for a moment, before realizing that the girl in front of him definitely wasn't going to take no for an answer. He grabbed his own microphone and he reached over to Julie's keyboard, playing back a melody of notes that he had been messing around with so Holland could get the beat down.