twenty-five

Truth be told, Holland didn't know what she was doing

Truth be told, Holland didn't know what she was doing. She had no game plan, no idea what exactly she was going to do as she stood in front of the front door of the Patterson household. All she knew was her gut was telling her this was the right thing to do.

Before she could reach out and ring the doorbell, there was a poof next to her on the porch. Her eyes went wide as Luke appeared next to her, looking over at her with the same look of shock.

"What are you doing here?" he questioned, his voice soft and full of confusion. Holland sighed, shutting her eyes for a second before looking back to him.

"Just hear me out, okay?" Luke didn't say anything, just waited for her to speak. "On your birthday...well we didn't know it was your birthday. But we were curious, we wanted to understand you after I kind of went off on you so...Alex and Reggie brought us here."

"You were spying on me?" Luke questioned, scoffing in disbelief. "You sit here and continuously give speeches to me about boundaries and then spy on me?"

"Luke, I know it was wrong and I'm sorry. I'm just worried about you-"

"Yeah, well you don't have to be,"

Holland cursed under her breath as Luke started to walk away from her.

"Luke, I know what it feels like. I know how hard it is to want to speak to someone you love, but you can't," Luke paused, turning back to look at her. "That is the way I felt my entire life about Reggie. That is what I felt every single day, just wishing that I could talk to my brother just once."

Luke licked his bottom lip, trying to find the words to say as he looked at her. He looked back to the front door before his eyes trailed over to her once more.

"Even if she could hear me, I don't even know what I would say to her,"

"You've already said it, Luke," Holland whispered, taking a step toward him as she looked up into her eyes. "Please. Trust me."

That was all Luke needed to hear, because he knew he trusted her with his whole heart.

Reaching out without taking his eyes off of her, Luke rang the doorbell of his former home. The pair moved to stand side by side as Holland reached into her pocket, clutching the folded up piece of paper that lied inside.

Luke's father opened the door, looking around for a moment before looking at Holland with a small smile.

"Hi, how can I help you?"

"My...my names Holland," she finally said, giving the older man a smile. "You had a son named Luke?"

"Yes, that's right," Luke's dad trailed off as he looked at her curiously. "You are again?"

"Holland Richmond. I'm Reggie's younger sister," the man's eyes widened as he stared at her, seeing the similarities almost immediately to his son's bandmate in the girl. "My best friend...she lives in the house that your son's bad used to practice in. We came across this song that he wrote. I figured you might be interested?"