one

CHAPTER ONE
❝ children of the damned ❞

☆ CHAPTER ONE ☆❝ children of the damned ❞

☆ ☾ ☆

It was a beautiful day at Bly Manor.

    Not only did the children were going to have a new au pair, but Nora would have another person to rely on. Those kinds of days were her favorite, the ones where you don't know the end of it. The ones where you could lose your mind without even realizing it.

Everyone was doing their own thing, like always. The Manor was silent and waiting; for what no one ever knew, but it was always waiting and observing. Everyone was scattered around the property, there was no one near to hear a scream or to run for help. The perfect scenario, wasn't it?

The only noise around the house was Lenora's humming. The melody emitting from her mouth was to no specific song, but it had been stuck in her head for a long time now. She whispered and sang quietly as she danced alone in the hallways, pretending she was in a ballad.

Her feet danced around in circles while her eyes were closed, trusting her instincts not to let her fall. A small smile was plastered across her lips, her features slightly changing from time to time as the pokes of pain in her mind pulsed every few seconds.

"One, two, they're coming for you"

    Nora sang delicately. A giggle was heard not too far away from her, but she paid no mind to it, she was used to them.

    "Three, four, they're getting real close"

    The sound of running feet echoed above her head, followed by the sound of something being dragged around helpless against the wooden floor. She continued dancing and kept her eyes closed. That's what they wanted, that's what she was going to do.

    "Five, six, they're almost here"

    Her body came to a sudden jolt and she was forced to stop her dancing. The hair over her shoulders was moved back, but she only stood still. After a few seconds, she was able to move.

    "Seven, eight, she'll have your head"

    Nora opened her eyes to find herself in front of one of the hallways. Quietly, she walked further into it, her eyes never leaving the floor that was maliciously creaking under her weight. She stood in front of one of the doors, analyzing it every inch until her eyes distorted between the colors of the light and the old painted entrance.

"Nine, ten, now you're dead"

    She didn't realize when, but she was now in front of the door, looking at it, waiting for something or someone on the other side. Her hand extended forward, reaching out to the door. A light breeze embraced her delicate skin as her finger tips trembled a little.