five

CHAPTER FIVE
❝ white lies ❞

☆ CHAPTER FIVE ☆❝ white lies ❞

☆ ☾ ☆

One Year Ago

The chatter of the outside reached her ears quite fast, if she was being honest. The sounds echoed like an unwanted guest traveling along her walls. It pained her. It made her want to cut off her ears and rip her skin layer by layer. Yet, she couldn't live without it; a life without noise, without their growing pains, was a life she couldn't endure.

    They were looking for her, again. It wasn't unusual for her to disappear out of the sudden, only to be found within the hour. She was the best at the hiding game. Not because she knew all the hiding spots or because she could be as quiet as the shadow behind them. But because if she wanted something, she got it. If she wanted to not be found, that's how it was going to be. She could be six feet under and still could make everyone believe she was just hiding from them.

A distasteful grunt came out of her mouth as she stood up from the basement, shaking off the dust in her dress. Without saying goodbye, she went up the stairs, missing the fainting white hand trying to get a hold of her ankle. She opened the door discreetly and exited the place, fixing her attire and her face.

When she came out of the kitchen, she was greeted with the eyes of her caretakers. She knew what their eyes tried to express, it was the same questions they had lingering above their heads since the first day they met. But like always, she forced a smile and made them believe with raging force that everything was okay. That was her secret, the ones she would take to her grave, buried deep with her poisoned being.

Silence was louder than a million actions. Spending so much together caused them to know each other's demeanor; it was too predictable. That's why Nora straightened her back and unclenched her jaw without them asking for it. Those damned little things always exasperated her.

Without a word, Nora followed Corvina and Embry to the exit. They walked towards the other three adults and her siblings as they saw the car entering the front house. She caught Peter's eyes when he stopped the car, but was immediately overturned by the sight of a woman behind him.

The world turned upside down for her once again the minute she stepped foot outside the Manor. It was like looking through glass, seeing the scene before her like an spectator from the outside. As if she could already guess the end of things, her body entered a state of dissociation and watched over it all. It was the beginning of the end, she could already see the chaos of the spectacle that was to bring upon their lives.

   The woman had stepped out of the car, talking to Flora with a smile. The breeze of the morning hit her smooth sugary brown skin, melting into its own layers. Her dark chocolate eyes were sweet and humming, calming whoever's storm was raging within. It was like the sun had met its match when she looked up to meet her eyes. She was so bright, so beautiful; Nora had never met someone as stunning as Rebecca Jessel.