nine

CHAPTER NINE
❝ in the dark ❞

☆ CHAPTER NINE ☆❝ in the dark ❞

☆ ☾ ☆

    As the wind gently kissed their skin, Lenora looked straight ahead, ignoring the nature around her. It was a beautiful day, there was no doubting that. Yet, Nora couldn't ignore the memories that it brought her.

Ahead of her, she could head her sibling's laugh as Corvina playfully chased them. Her eyes were set in the ground, stepping on the leaves under her old brown shoes. The smell of wet dirt infiltrated her nostrils and caused her to shiver; why did everything remind her of the past?

Although her mind was worlds away, she knew Dani was walking next to her. The brunette was gently humming a song that she didn't recognize, but didn't interrupt the melody. She knew that the au pair wanted to talk, she had seen her open her mouth and try to liberate the words stuck in her mounts. But every time she did, they closed and were encaged once more.

Nora tried. She really did. Nora tried to act fine so one would notice a change, and the majority of the time it worked with little effort. Nowadays, however, it was becoming a more troublesome job. She tried to act normal and not raise any alarms, she tried to make sure she was sane enough in their eyes. But it was downgrading, especially because sometimes she couldn't tell what was real anymore. Was she really outside with them, or was it just a dream?

"What book are you reading?" Nora's sudden words startled Dani. She blinked twice before looking at her, trying to mask her surprise with a smile.

Dani showed her a copy of Romeo and Juliet. Nora immediately smiled as she felt the familiar burning sensation.

    When they arrived at their destination, Nora sat with Dani, while Corvina played with Flora and Miles at chasing each other. They knew Nora didn't like to run so they didn't ask her to join, as long as she was there was enough.

That morning, Nora didn't plan on doing anything besides lay in bed. Her siblings wanted to go out of the house, so she was dragged by the two au pairs to get some fresh air. It's a beautiful day, they chanted, it'll be good for you, they promised. Why couldn't they see that says like that affected her more?

    "Look at the birds!" Flora yelled in excitement at the sky. Birds in formation were headed south, causing their acts to be a sight to be admired.

While everyone looked at the sky, Nora looked at the ground. She couldn't look up, no matter how much she wanted to appreciate the sky and all its colors, she couldn't, not unless she wanted to see her nightmares and scream all over again.