eight

CHAPTER EIGHT
❝ the golden flower ❞

☆ CHAPTER EIGHT ☆❝ the golden flower ❞

☆ ☾ ☆

NINE YEARS AGO

The sun was at its highest, brightening the day of the people of the town as well as the residents of the infamous Bly Manor.

It was like any particular day. The garden was being tended to, food was being cooked, furniture was being clean and the family was waking up at the sound of the birds. Everyone was just starting off their day in a good mood, ready to take on the day. All but Lenora Wingrave.

The little girl had been sitting on her bed for hours in a trance like state. Her eyes had not rested for the night, and it seemed that they weren't going to have so much luck for the day either. The sunshine entered her room, but she wasn't fazed by it, everything was the same in her mind.

No matter what she did, she could still hear their whispers in her ear. Their voices spoke either too quietly or too loud for her to understand what they were saying, but either way, she didn't want to know. What started out as an innocent game of trying to guess their spoken words, it turned into an endless headache of words scattered.

Nora didn't remember much about that day. It was a memory that someone had tucked away for her, an attempt to make her journey less painful. Her memory was foggy, it was intertwined with dark vines and strange red liquids that somehow claim ownership of her.

The moment your heart started aching for reasons that you couldn't quite grasp, it was the beginning of a cruel cycle that was to make you feel empty. When your emotions and feelings are too much, you start to feel numb and there is no end. No end to your memories, not to your heart, and certainly not the rotten mind.

Lenora remembered changing clothes with the help of Corvina, who talked to her in an attempt to make her feel better. She couldn't hear a word that escaped her mouth, or a sound that was out of her head. They knew what that meant, yet they still tried to treat her normally. She remembered the color of her dress, the way her hair was up, the small blood splatters of the night before in her skin.

The day was a blur for her young mind. One moment, she was sitting at the table next to her little brother and in front of her pregnant mother. Then, she was outside, staring at the lake while Corvina read to her. Then, she was at Embry's office while he tried to dissect and understand her mind. It was an endless cycle that she lost count to.

That night, however, it felt different. It wasn't because her dad bought her a new doll, or because her parents told her that she was probably going to have a baby sister. No. It was because she finally could place a face of the shadow that kept poking her at all times.