four

CHAPTER FOUR
❝ there's a ghost ❞

☆ CHAPTER FOUR ☆❝ there's a ghost ❞

☆ ☾ ☆

"Nora?"

Lenora snapped her head towards the sound, realizing everyone was looking at her. Out of reflex, she smiled and pretended she was okay, slowly letting go of her own scratched arm. For a moment she was angry that they had pulled her out of her head, but she ended up deciding it was a good idea, the place was rotten anyways.

    "What was the question?" she looked at them, everyone had a different expression in their face.

Owen smiled gently "I asked if you wanted to help us with the cake" Flora looked at her expectantly.

"Oh yes" Nora nodded and stood up, pulling down her sleeves so no one could notice the dried blood around her wrists "what are we making, Master Chefs?"

"Strawberry or banana?" Owen passed her an apron and she swiftly put it on. The rest of them sat around them at the table, talking about something regarding the gardens, Nora wasn't listening.

"Banana" Nora answered, the smile still intact in her face, Owen nodded in agreement.

"Good choice" he complimented and began to lay around their materials "Flora, remember how I told you to whisk and Nora, you get to help me with the batter"

The three of them began to bake, listening to the instructions and the chatter. Nora smiled at Owen before looking down and continuing with her tasks. It didn't last long, however, when she felt someone looking at her. With subtlety, Nora looked up and instantly found the source: Miles.

    She was about to give a smile like she always did, but something was off and she knew it. It was the way he sat, the way he looked at her, the way he had his cup in his hand moving it in small circles as if it was a glass of wine. It reminded her of him, of the way he used to do that when he was around the house drinking with the rest of the adults. Of the first time she truly liked but then despised someone.

    Nora looked back at him, shaking her head lightly. She didn't have time for his games; they were fun before, now they were just too heavy.

    "Am I now your favorite assistant, Owen?" Flora asked, looking up at the man.

    Nora opened her mouth, pretending to be offended "Sorry, Flora, but I'm his favorite"

"Now, now, there's no need to argue" Owen chuckled while the two sisters narrowed their eyes at each other jokingly "I don't have favorites"