ten

CHAPTER TEN
❝ watch me burn ❞

☆ CHAPTER TEN ☆❝ watch me burn ❞

☆ ☾ ☆

ONE YEAR AGO

"Stop it!"

Silence. There was no noise, only the pounding of her blood flowing through her ears. The beating of her chaotic heart against her rib cage that threatened to escape its chamber. Silence. Why wasn't anyone there?

Her eyes were squeezed shut together, like melted iron had burned into them forever. Her mouth had a bad taste, was it just dryness or is that what blood tasted after staining the teeth for hours? She panted, feeling her trembling hands against each other.

It came again, this feeling of burning. Her hands immediately went up to her neck, as if she was drowning. Or perhaps she was.

The whispers came again and with them the endless paranoia. She squeezed her hands around her neck, trying to suppress her own oxygen. She needed something to stop the pain, anything.

    "Leave me alone" she whispered into the void, yet all it did was stare back. Was that her reflection?

    A hissing sound echoed in the room, it was dragging itself, coming closer to her. At that moment, she wished she had taken the sleeping spills offered to her the night prior. Maybe she was dreaming again and couldn't differentiate anymore, maybe it was a sign to numb the pain.

    That's it, she thought and her hands released her neck, it felt tender.

With as much steadiness as she could, she got out of the room, pressing her back against the cold wall. Nora took a deep breath, trying to calm herself, but her throat ached, she needed it now.

Silently, she slipped through the corridors, aware that some people in the house were still awake. She was barefoot in her tippy-toes roaming to the cellar in the kitchen.

When she got there, she waited to see if there was any noise, maybe Owen stayed behind or something. When nothing came towards her ears, she swiftly turned and entered the kitchen, only to come to an abrupt stop.

Her hand immediately covered her mouth to prevent a scream from coming out. She stood frozen in front of him, but noticed that his eyes did not follow her. He was distracted, the glossy look in his eyes indicated that he was up in his own head. His hand was wrapped around the glass, almost slipping through his fingers. Nora tilted her head as the opportunity came in.

Without any warning, she approached him. She was always so silent, like a predator around its prey, spying as it was about to devore it whole. Peter didn't see her coming, only when the sound of her voice took him out of his cloud that he realized he wasn't along anymore.