Southern Boy Knows Best

The sun had set and the stars had come out. The moon illuminated the floor of Dax's room as Grayson laid atop him. This felt right, it felt comfortable. Grayson felt a small tremor run through his body as he recalled how the chilled tile felt on his bare body. The scene replayed, but this time Dax had replaced the bullies. Grayson's chest got tight and he felt the identical way he had at his brother's birthday.

"You okay?" Dax felt Grayson fidgeting and trying to catch his breath. The sudden talking made Grayson scrabble to sit up and even out his breathing. He felt Dax's hand rub his waist in what he meant to be comforting, but it only made his flashbacks worse. All of the words tied up in his throat until he swallowed and a heart-wrenching cry fell from his cupid bow lips. His tears glistened as they ran down his face as the large moon made them reflect.

Dax was more than puzzled at Grayson's sudden mood swing, but he allowed the boy to cry into his shoulder before pressing on what was wrong. Dax knew he had already had a troublesome day, and he just needed to be there for Grayson right now. "Tell me what's been happening," Dax suggested, feeling Grayson make fists at his shirt and shake his head.

The mental and physical pain was taking a toll on Grayson very much, and he would break any second. Sure, he had felt on edge before but not like this. "Dax, would you ever hurt me?" He muttered into Dax's shoulder, wondering if he had heard or not since it took a few minutes to respond.

"Of course I ain't gon' hurt you. I can't hurt a fly." Dax understood now, Grayson must've been in some sort of abusive relationship. Dax also knew how bad the bullying could get, he'd been in that position before. "You'll be safe here, I'm sure Ma will let you stay with us for a bit. She'll make you handy around the house." Dax reassured and felt Grayson relax for the first time, "Yeah...deep breathes." He gently ruffled his hair and hummed softly.

"Goodnight, Dax. Thank you." Grays blushed madly once again as he felt a pair of chapped lips press against his forehead. He felt lucky like he was one in a million who could ever have a boyfriend like Dax. "And...are we like, a thing now?" Grayson whispered in the dark against his ear.

"I mean, it'd be pretty weird to kiss and not be, right? So yeah." Grayson giggled at Dax's southern charm and slight cluelessness.