三十三

-2 MONTHS AGO AFTER THE SWORDSMITH VILLAGE ATTACK-

**read chapter 29**

Satsuki froze on her spot, she thought it was because she had been kneeling on the tatami longer than she expected but that's clearly not the case.She stares at the head of the Ubuyashiki lying down,his whole body wraps in bandages but save for his mouth and nose, his condition is worsening,her nose can't deny that-the flesh is rotting underneath his skin,his cells are dying,he is dying.

"So how about it,Satsuki?"

Their attentions finally land on her,snapping her back from her own fear,

"I'm—i'm sorry—i must've misunderstand all those.I just heard something absurd because there's no way—"

But judging from Himejima's expression and smelling the ill man's scent,they meant dead serious.And it made her complexion fell harder,it all make sense,the puzzles are slowly coming to a one piece altogether.
  She was absolutely clueless when they begin the discussion of the attack,a secret where the other Pillars are to remain in the dark but save for Himejima himself. But now,she gets it.

Why she was asked to assist with Kochō Shinobu's experiment on her blood with Lady Tamayo who had been invited to the resident but hidden from public eyes. Why she is to provide her blood over and over again for the past few nights.
  The shock came late,Satsuki shot up from the ground with a sharp breath,

"Satsuki—"

"I cannot accept this!" she exclaimed, her furious eyes glaze over to Himejima who still kneeling on the other side of Ubuyashiki's bed,then to him,

"I will not let you do this,Oyakata-sama! I won't! There must be another way to corner him!"

"Satsuki, we have thought of this countless times. I am more than ready and willing to defeat Kibutsuji with all i have left."

"Oyakata-sama—"

"My wife and the children had seen this coming long before,it is their duty along with mine."

Her breathing came out shakily as her body drops down,having a hard time believe what were the words coming out of his mouth. She may not know him well but she know him enough to know he is a great leader,one who cares deep for his demon slayers.

"What about..the Pillars..?" she began,her voice small. She remember how the Pillars greatly admire and respect him even the ruthless Sanemi nor ignorant Giyū-that is enough proof for her to do the same.

"What if they are...sad?"

Kagaya smiles, "When they are sad,all they need to remember are the memories that will make them stronger,they have to go forward believing in the future-the future that i will help them to build."

Oyakata-sama knows he couldn't do much—that is why he wanted to become a strong foundation for us

Her eyes brims with hot tears,blurring her view,

"Even so..."

Then,this reminds her of Kyōjurō all over again.

The palms on the floor slowly clench to a fist,trembling her knuckles until they are white,

"Is there...really no other way..?"

The smile never cease off his mouth and it just made her wanted to cry even harder,

"I do not wish for the other children to see more deaths, that is why i can only ask of this from you and Gyoumei.So please," he tilt his head to the side though he can no longer see, he can hear she is choking back sobs through her bitten lip,