Twenty

New Year's Day was a blur, all we did was eat and sleep and watch movies until the day was over.

The next day I woke up pretty early even though I went to sleep late the night before. I was hungry so I decided to get a start on breakfast. I was taking cooked bacon off a sheet pan when James shuffled in.

"Good morning" his still groggy voice greeted me

"Morning, what time did y'all get home?"

"Literally 30 minutes after y'all but you were already asleep by then" he grabbed the apple juice from the fridge and poured himself a cup "I gotta tell you something "

"What did you do?"

"Nothing yet...I'm gonna ask Michelle to marry me" he said casually talking a gulp of juice

"Are you serious?" He shook his head yes with a big grin "Awww congratulations James, I'm so happy for you" I washed my hands of bacon grease and gave him a hug "when are you going to propose?"

"Tonight, I wanted to do it before you left. I got everything set up I just need you to keep her busy today"

"Thanks for the short notice, big head. Did you tell mommy and daddy yet? Or Tony?"

"Tony knows, he picking up the ring for me and I'll tell them when they get up"

"Tell who what?" Our father asked entering the kitchen with a magazine in hand

"Morning dad, is mom up yet?"

"Yeah she's coming" he responded taking a seat at the kitchen table

"Food's almost done, we can eat when she gets here" a minute our mom walks in and takes the seat next to my father

"Mom, dad, I going to propose to Michelle" James revealed nervously

"Ahh! Oh my god!" Mom jumped out her seat and smothered him with hugs and kisses "Congratulations baby"

"Congratulations son" dad respectfully shook his hand then pulled him into a bear hug

"Thank you. Thank you. I'm nervous about it."

We have breakfast and hash out some details for today. I was taking Michelle out for manicures and shopping, masking it all as a girls day out. Michelle is a nurse and was unfortunately on duty the last two nights so she didn't get a chance to spend the holiday with us or her own family. James had notified her parents and closest friends of his plans. Her parents and sister are coming to my parents house for dinner then when we are all going to the winter lights festival at the metro parks afterwards where her friends and his would be waiting for the proposal.

"This week went by so fast but I'm glad you cut out some time for little old me" Michelle expressed linking her arm through mine as we walked through the nearly empty mall after our manicure appointment.

"Of course I did. I would've kicked myself if I didn't. I hate that you missed the party though"

"It's okay, we rotate holidays so I'm not too bummed about missing NYE. What exactly are we shopping for Ami?"

"Nothing specific, I just like shopping and wanted to hang out with you. Are you getting tired already?"

"Yeah right, I've gotten worse since you've been gone" she laughed "James is always getting on me about all the clothes and shoes I buy. I am getting hungry though I didn't have breakfast"

"Okay you want to grab something in the food court or go somewhere else?"

"Let's just get some food from here, I don't want to eat too much before dinner with your parents"

"Alright" she grabbed a slice of pizza and I got an order of cinnamon sugar pretzel bites for a snack. We grabbed a small table to take a break while she ate

"So Ami, are you seeing anybody back in Korea?"

"Yeah, we've been dating for about 2 months"

"And how much do you like him"

"A lot" I giggled "I think we got attached to each too fast but I find it difficult to want to be away from him for long periods of time"

"Ami if he makes you happy and is good to you don't let "what's supposed to be" dictate your relationship. Your face lit up like the sun when you just spoke about him" I was a blushing, toothy mess "How have you been holding up this week?"

"I will not lie. I miss him very much but I have loved being back home and being with my family and friends so it's not bad"

"I hope I get to meet him one day" She finished her slice and we resumed shopping.

I helped her find an outfit for her surprise proposal then we went to Sephora for makeup. It was almost 3pm when I got back home and dinner was slated for 6:30. Michele said she was going home for a nap and would be over later. I touched base with James to make sure everything was still on track

At 5:00 my alarm went off and I hopped out the bed and took a quick shower to refresh myself. I got dressed and went to the kitchen to see if my mom needed help with dinner.

"Ami set the table please"

"Yes ma'am"

It was 6:25 when the doorbell rang I answered to see Michelle, her sister Samantha and her parents Robert and Monica. My dad came from the basement with two bottles of wine and a bottle of whiskey as they entered the house. James and Tony came downstairs at the same time greeting the Garrett family too.

"Everything look delicious Tanya, thank you for inviting us" Monica awed at the food on her plate

"Thank you Monica" my mother responded with a smile. Dinner was nice, everyone conversed with each other and had a good time together.

"Should we head out for the festival now?" my dad suggested. We all put on our coats and bundled up good since the light show was outside and it's winter then drove to the park. We took the self guided tour of the different displays looking on in amazement at the crafts.

"I heard there is a fireworks show in about 15 minutes" James spoke up holding Michelle's hand "You want to stay for it"

"Uh yeah!"

"Let's go then" Tony chimed leading the way

"Oh babe I need to use the bathroom first, I'll meet you over there" James excused himself, she nodded and linked arms with her sister. She really had no idea what was about to happen. The fireworks were beautiful. After the show the crowd started to disperse leaving our group and a few others standing in the middle of the field

"Oh wow that was amazing, better than they Fourth of July" Samantha expressed behind her thick scarf

"Paula? What are you doing here?" Michelle asked, noticing her friend, she ran over to give her a hug. That's when she noticed the crowd was full of people she knew "what's going on? What are you all doing here?"

"Baby," James called out while grabbing her hand. He led her to the concrete sidewalk and got down on one knee "Baby you know how much I love you"

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!" Michelle screamed jumping in place making us chuckle

"Michelle, I love you so much, you are the kindest, smartest, and most beautiful woman I know and I could not imagine my life without you. You make me so happy and push me to be a better man, a better person. I thank you for all that you do" his voice cracked as tears started rolling down his cheeks "will you please continue making me happy for the rest of my life and marry me?" A deep red velvet box in had showcasing a 2 carat emerald cut diamond ring

"Yes! Yes, yes, yes!" Michelle repeated with tears streaming down her chubby cheeks. James rose from his bended knee and swooped her up in a hug and joyful kiss

"Woooooooo!" Everyone cheered gathering around to see her ring up close.

Me and Tony wrangle James into a group hug "I'm so proud of you James, congratulations"