𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙𝟞

=★=

The game continues, Aurora winces as each piece smashes. After a few moves, Ron, Harry, and Aurora study the game. Hermione knew nothing about wizard's chess, so she stayed quiet, and trusted Ron to make the right decisions.

"Wait a minute." Aurora's eyes widen in realization.

Ron turns to her, with sad eyes. "You understand right, Rory. Once I make my move, the Queen will take me... then you'll be free to check the King."

Tears threaten to spill out of Aurora's eyes. "No, Ron, no!" 

"What is it?" Hermione asked, oblivious to the situation.

"He's going to sacrifice himself!" Harry said, with a worried look on his face. 

"No, Ron, you can't!" Hermione cries. "There must be another way!"

Ron turns to look at his friends. "Do you want to stop Snape or not? Harry, Aurora, it's you two that have to go on. I know it. Not me, not Hermione, you." 

Harry nods. Aurora does too, tears streaming down her face. She cant lose her best friend, she can't. 

Ron sends one last look to Aurora, and she looks at him with pleading eyes. 

"Knight...to H-3." Ron's horse moves forward, slides and stops.

"Check."

The Queen turns and advances. Ron breathes faster, clutching the steel reins. The Queen stops. SMASH! Ron goes flying off the horse and lands on the floor, unconscious.

Aurora looks away, small sobs escaping her lips. Hermione starts walking towards him.

"No! Don't move! Dont forget, we're still playing." Harry said, no matter how much he wanted to check on Ron. Hermione moves back. 

Harry walks the diagonal in front of the King. "Checkmate."

The Kings sword falls onto the ground victory. Harry breathes out, and then the three run to Ron. They bend beside him, Aurora held his hand. 

"Take care of Ron. Then, go to the owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. Ron's right... we have to go on" Harry said, looking at his sister. She looked at him, and nodded.

"You'll be okay. You both are great wizards, you really are." Hermione said.

Aurora sniffled. "Not as good as you."

Hermione smiles. "Me? Books and cleverness? There are more important things. Friendship, and bravery. And Harry, Aurora, just be careful." 

The twins nod, and walk away.

=★=

The two walk down a long staircase to an empty room with pillars around it. The Mirror of Erised is in the middle of the room, and a man is standing before it. It is Quirrell. The twins yelp and grab their scars.

"You?" Aurora questioned, with a surprised look. 

Quirrell turns around. 

Harry shakes his head. "No. It can't be...Snape. He was the one-"