4~ The Aftermath

The kingdom was absolutely devastated. In a fit of complete rage towards the humans that took his son, Asgore declared that any human to fall to the Underground, with the exception of you, his only remaining child, would be killed and their souls harvested. 

As a gift to the king, you, Sans, Gaster, and his new recruit Alphys picked the first golden flower to bloom after Asriel's death. But here's the catch: what if you injected it with determination? You were the only human left, with a trait of determination all the more, so you sacrificed some of yours. 

The flower never moved from the small vase you put it in, until one day, it was nowhere to be found. It was strange for sure, but you had no clue as of it's whereabouts.

 It was becoming hard to focus on lab work and experiments when you had just lost both your brother and little sibling in the same night. The only things you had left of them was your golden locket, of which both your siblings had matching ones, and a small picture of all three of you holding flowers and smiling towards the camera. Sans seemed to notice that and asked one day if you needed to talk about anything. You nodded and walked out of the lab before bursting into tears from the built up grief that you had been holding in since you lost your siblings.

"hey, it's gonna be alright. it might not seem like it now but i promise you will be okay." Sans said softly as he hugged you. You had dealt with grief before on the surface, but you always had Chara to talk to. Now they were gone. 

Small time skip~

Toriel had been acting strange lately too, she hadn't been talking much and was gone more often. One day when you woke up, she wasn't sitting by the fireplace like she normally was, in fact she wasn't in the castle at all. Asgore was in a meeting with Gaster, talking about the experiments he was doing, so you couldn't necessarily interrupt. You walked into her room to see a small note on her dresser. It read:

Dear Y/n and Asgore,

I've left New Home, and am currently somewhere no one can find me. I can't live with the fact that my own husband is to kill any humans to fall. I am relinquishing my role as queen, so as to not be involved in the murder of any humans. 

Y/n, if you're reading this, I love you so much my child. I'm sorry things had to be this way. I'm sure you will find happiness living with your father, working with your best friend, and continuing to be a source of hope for the kingdom.

So she had left. The realization hit you like a knife through your soul, she wasn't coming back. Things would never be the same. First Chara and Asriel died, then Toriel left. The kingdom could never be anywhere near how it used to be, not with the absence of your sibling's laughter, not without Toriel's puns. 

How could everything fall apart so quickly when it was going so well?

***

Yay I finished another chapter! I have some really good ideas for my next few so I will probably be posting again either tomorrow or the day after