1.

Her head rested on the window of the car, her earbuds shoved into her ears

Her head rested on the window of the car, her earbuds shoved into her ears. Her eyes were closed, the scenery of trees bothering more than intriguing her.

Her father kept glancing at her in concern, not sure what to say. What do you say to your recently rehabilitated daughter who had abused for months on end with no one knowing? Exactly, no one knows.

"So, how's your mother?" He spoke up, noticing that she was awake. Olivia slowly pulled out one earbud, shrugging.

"She's alright. Would be better, but the news that the daughter she raised was actually a big mess has her a little wound up."

Leonardo frowned. "You're not a big mess, Olivia. You just went down a wrong path, that's all."

"Dad, do me a favor, and stop speaking to me like one of my doctors. I know I fucked up, I know that I'm a damn mess, and I've accepted it. I'm tired of everyone sugarcoating my issues."

His frown only deepened, a sigh escaping his lips. "Olivia, please don't swear."

She leaned on the window again, putting her earbud back in. "Whatever you say, Dad."

They finally made it to La Push, Olivia scowling at the sight of dirt roads, small shops, trucks, and small wooden houses. She was used to big buildings, paved roads, teslas, and townhouses, a city girl through and through. This, this was just a bit sad in her eyes. It was like rehab, isolation all over again.

If Leonardo noticed the look on her face, he didn't comment, instead turning onto another road. He drove to the end of it, parking before, surprise surprise, a small house that looked to be made out of logs.

He put the car in park, leaning back. "Well, this is it. Bring back any memories?"

Olivia shook her head. She used to spend her summers in La Push, visiting her grandparents for two months each year. Then, unexpectedly a few years back, they died. Her parents began having marital issues and separated, eventually divorcing, and her dad moved into his childhood home instead of selling it, Olivia never going back.

It had been so long that she didn't remember much about La Push, except that it's biggest attraction was a beach with water that was too cold, and wind that was too chilly.

"No, nothing."

Leonardo didn't reply, getting out of his truck and heading to the bed, pulling out Olivia's suitcases. He grabbed two, plus a duffle bag, Olivia taking the last suitcase and her carry on.

He unlocked the door, revealing the house Olivia only saw in dreams these days. It hadn't changed, the same rustic decor that her grandparents had still being up. It broke back good memories, from a time when her family was complete and she was happy.

Her father stopped, realizing that Olivia was finally reacting to something. She was frozen, looking around in wonder. He cleared his throats, motioning to the stairs.

"Let me show you to your room. I had it redone, thought the decor was a bit too childish for you."

"Yeah, thanks." Olivia followed him up the stairs and into the bedroom on the far right. It had been her father's growing up, and then, when he moved out and she visited, her grandparents made it hers. Their home only had two bedrooms, and it was clear her father had taken over the master bedroom.

She set down her things, looking around. It was still the navy blue color it had always been, her dad having adorned it with a grey bedspread, fairy lights, and a new dark wooden desk. Everything was empty, having been cleared for Olivia.

"I know it's not much, but I thought you would like to fix it to your liking. I also, uh, cleared a shelf for you in the bathroom."

"Oh, yeah. Thanks. And thanks for fixing the room up a bit, it's nice." Leonardo nodded, stepping back.

"Well, I don't suppose you want me to give you a tour, do you?"

"No."

He laughed awkwardly, turning. "Then I guess I'll be leaving you to unpack and unwind. Oh, and Olivia?" He popped his head back into the room.

Olivia sighed. "Yes, Dad?"

"I'm glad you're here. Remember to call your mother, she wanted to make sure you got her safely."

"Okay, I will. Thanks."

Olivia sighed, throwing herself on the bed.

She already missed DC and Sunday mornings at Eastern Market, or Georgetown, depending on her mood. She missed the gorgeous sunsets and the view of the monument wherever you were. She missed running in the national mall, trips to Alexandria and Arlington, missed going to Pentagon City Mall.

She missed the good aspects of her life.

But then, she remembered the bad, like going home to an empty house after the mornings in Eastern Market and Georgetown, the constant takeout from random places in Adam's Morgan, the pills she popped when the sun went down, and the fake friends she went with trips on that were full of tension.

Olivia began to think of the little she remembered of La Push and hoped that it would be better here. That she would be better here.

After all, it wasn't fun to look in a mirror everyday and hate what you see.