17.

"I can't believe he's bringing her!" He growled, laying angrily on a log

"I can't believe he's bringing her!" He growled, laying angrily on a log. He pulled her into his side, playing with her fingers as a way to distract himself.

"They all agreed it might help." She reminded him, cuddling further into his side.

"She almost got you killed."

Paul wasn't too happy with the idea of Bella Swan attending the bonfire/council meeting tonight. But, to be fair, he wasn't too happy with Bella Swan at all these days.

He blamed her for the vampire attack on Olivia, saying that if Bella hadn't upset the redhead, they wouldn't be having such a big stray vampire problem. He also said that Bella's idea of volunteering the pack (without even asking first) to watch over her for her and her father's safety took him away from Olivia and basically put all the imprints in danger. Paul said she was selfish.

Jared and Quil agreed instantly, Sam agreeing to a degree as well. The job of the pack was to protect the tribe, not a girl who already had a family of vampires protecting her. With all the time they spent watching over Bella, the imprints were constantly alone and what happened to Olivia could happen again, this time with fatal results.

Jacob, though, argued and pleaded for Sam to agree, using the pack code as leverage. He claimed that since Bella was human, she needed them, and they were patrolling anyways, mind as well keep the redhead away from Bella and try to capture her there.

Olivia also agreed with Paul, not voicing her thoughts to anyone, but Paul, though. She found it strange how Bella continued to string Jacob on, since she had Edward Cullen back in her life. From what Paul told Olivia, Bella had gotten close to Jake when Edward left, using him as a rebound, yet continually rejecting Jacob. In fact, Paul told Olivia how Bella referred to the time Jake ignored her after shifting as a 'break-up', despite rejecting him less than a week before.

Yet, Olivia also found it ridiculous how Jake let Bella use him. She had clearly made her choice, she had told him again and agin that she loved Edward, and most importantly, she and Edward were meant to be. It wasn't as if Jake imprinted on her.

"She didn't do anything, Paul." Olivia reminded him.

"She's taking me away from you. Besides, she's an outsider paleface, she doesn't belong here."

"I'm an outsider too."

Paul kissed the top of her head. "You're different. Your dad was born in the tribe, and you're an imprint. She isn't in any way connected to the pack, except she keeps bringing us trouble." He reasoned.

"Here she comes, don't you dare say anything." Olivia warned, Paul only grinning at her, before kissing her lightly. They watched as Seth ran up to Bella and Jacob, talking to them animatedly. Jacob playfully ruffled his hair, Seth escaping his grip with a laugh. He finally ran off, Bella and Jacob approaching the rest.

Bella didn't even say anything to them, or anyone else for that matter, sitting next to Jake, across the fire. Olivia got comfortable, her eyes set on Billy when he cleared his throat.

"The Quileutes have been a small tribe from the beginning, but we always had magic in our blood." He began, Olivia glancing at Paul before looking to Billy. "We were great spirit warriors, shapeshifters that transformed to the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies and protect our tribe."

He paused, looking straight at Bella. "One day, our warriors came across a creature. It looked like a man, but it was hard like stone, and cold as ice." Billy described how the warriors found the creature, surrounded by dead bodies of villagers, and they shifted, tearing the creature apart.

Billy looked back to the fire before him. "Our warrior's sharp teeth, finally tore it apart, but only fire would completely destroy it. They lived in fear the cold man was not alone, and they were right." Olivia winced at the thought, Paul's grip tightening around her.

"She took her vengeance out on the village. Our elder chief, Taha Aki, was the only spirit warrior left to save the tribe after his son was killed. Taha Aki's third wife could see that he would lose. The third wife was no magical being, with no special powers but one, courage."

"The third wife's sacrifice distracted the child woman long enough for Taha Aki to destroy her. She saved the tribe." Billy smiled, scanning the group. "Over time, our enemies have disappeared. But one remains."

Bella looked down, seemingly ashamed, while Jacob looked at her, as if proving a point. Paul rested his head over Olivia's protectively, everyone else looking solemnly at the fire. They knew what Billy would say next, and they were dreading it.

"Our magic awakens when they're near, and we sense it now. We feel the threat in our blood." Billy turned from Leah and Sue to Quil and Old Quil. "Something terrible is coming." He went from Paul and Olivia, to Embry and Seth, to Kim and Jared.

"And we must all be ready." He looked at Jake. "All of us." His eyes finally fell on Bella, lingering on her for a while.

"Livs." Paul muttered in her ear, looking down at her. "You okay?"

She let out a breath. The legends, as interesting as they were, were also terrifying, as they held a warning. Not long, she had been attacked by a cold one on wolf territory. The wolves risked their lives daily searching for Victoria and protecting Bella.

She didn't want to lose Paul, couldn't lose Paul after getting him. He was her safe space, the person to pull her out of problems along with Kim.

"Promise me that whatever happens, we'll be together."

Paul nodded, kissing the top of her head. "I promise to protect you, always."