24.

She was asleep when they got told what had happened, Seth rushing into the home, looking frantic. She swore that all the girl's hearts dropped at the same time, all too guilty to admit it, but all a bit relieved to discover it was Jacob and Jacob only who got hurt.

After the initial relief came the panic, everyone rushing to grab their things and get to the Black family home, where Jacob was being treated by Carlisle Cullen. Olivia, though, could not deny that she and Kim shared a look, both happy that their boyfriends had both come back in one piece.

The day had been long, as expected, the girls making not one, not two, not three, but four different cakes. They spent half an hour debating on what cake flavor to make, then deciding to make vanilla, double chocolate, red velvet, and lemon cake. They spent the next hour and a half mixing cake batter and making the frosting as well, another 30 minutes spent baking.

After baking, they spent an hour waiting for the cakes to cool and then decorating, Emily then turning on the TV and calling Claire down. They all had cake and attempted to watch TV, all pretending not to notice the anxious ticks of the others, such as Olivia's leg bouncing, Kim's restlessness, Claire's nail biting, and Emily's tapping.

They gave up on TV when another two hours passed with no news, the girls becoming even more anxious. Emily called Billy, who said he had nothing either, and they all went their separate ways. Olivia and Kim went to go get some rest, their eyes beginning to droop, while Emily set on cleaning the whole house. Claire ate some more cake and then began to study of all things, her eyes skimming over the same page for ten minutes before she would turn the page.

Really, Seth going in the house scared the girls, but also relaxed them, as bad news was better than no news.

He had run in, shouting rapid words that no one quite caught at first. In fact, Emily had to stop him from running out the door again and made him repeat the words slower.

"We won the battle, Edward killed Victoria, but Jacob got hurt!"

"What? How?"

"A vamp went for Leah and Jacob jumped in. Got his ribs crushed. Carlisle is treating him at Billy's. Now, let's go!"

At that, everyone scrambled for their shoes, rushing after Seth and running to Billy's. Olivia couldn't deny the excitement and happiness she felt though. Jacob may be hurt, but no one was dead. Paul was not dead. And Paul was waiting for her.

As soon as they got outside Billy's, they were engulfed into warm hugs by their wolves, Paul kissing Olivia feverishly. Olivia held him close, breathing in his scent. She was grateful to be able to feel Paul again, to know that he was okay.

She couldn't help but cry, though. Paul tensed feeling her tears against his chest, pulling away.

"Livs..."

"I'm sorry, it's just-" she sniffed, wiping at her cheeks. "You're okay. You're here. It's over."

He smiled slightly, bringing her back into his arms. "It's over, Livs. I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere."

"I love you." Olivia kissed him once more, jumping when she heard a scream echo from inside the house. Paul frowned, another scream sounding not long after.

Olivia flinched, looking at Paul. "What are they doing to him?"

"They have to rebreak his bones." Paul held Olivia close, cradling her head and whispering sweet nothings to her everytime Jacob screamed.

Honestly he would have preferred Olivia not to be there, wanted to take her away even. She shouldn't have to listen to Jacob scream, shouldn't be exposed to the cruel truth of their world. But he had to be there for his brother and he knew Olivia wanted to be there for Jacob too.

Minutes passed, the screaming continuing and everyone enduring the screams in silence. Emily and Sue comforted Billy, who was the most affected by every scream his son let out. Bella's familiar beat up truck pulled up, Paul scowling at the sight of it.

Bella ran out, rushing to the group with wild eyes. "Hey, is Jacob-"

Another scream rang out, everyone flinching. Bella's face fell further when it continued, Billy looking down and Emily squeezing his hand.

"Been happening for a while." Quil spoke, his hands around Claire. His voice wavered, Quil turning to Embry to elaborate.

"Doc's rebreaking his bones." Embry managed to get out.

"He just had to butt in, I could have taken that tic-"

"Oh, give it a rest, Leah." Paul snapped, Olivia nudging him forcefully. She turned to Leah, giving her an apologetic look. Leah just looked down, guilty about the situation.

They all continued to wait, the door finally opening after what felt like hours. Sam and Carlisle walked out, Sam going straight to Emily while Carlisle approached Billy.

"The worst of it is over. Jacob will be alright." He announced, everyone breathing out in relief.

"I've given him some morphine, but his body temperature will burn it up. I'll be back to set up a drip."

"Thank you." Billy said, Carlisle smiling at him. He turned to Bella, everyone rolling their eyes. They already knew what he was going to say.

"He's asking for you."

Bella, for her part, hesitated, looking to Billy for permission. When he nodded, she bolted in, the door closing behind her.

"I'm gonna head out." Paul spoke after a pause, everyone turning to him. "Livs and I will come see Jake tomorrow, but I'm exhausted right now."

"Okay. Be safe." Sam dismissed, Paul nodding. He grabbed Olivia's hand, pressing a kiss to it while he led her away.

"What do you say you and I get home and go straight to sleep?"

"I'd say that sounds great."