21.

Her grip on his hand tightened when they walked up the driveway of the house, her eyes staring nervously up at the glass mansion

"We don't have to go in, we can always go back home." Paul told Olivia. She shook her head, letting out a deep breath.

"No, no, we're already here. No point in backing out now." Paul raised an eyebrow, Olivia kissing his cheek.

"Truly, Paul, I'm fine. Now, let's go in, they're probably waiting by the door."

They walked up to the front door, Paul going to knock, right before the door swung open. A blonde man, with kind eyes and a soft smile, stood on the other side of the door,

"Hello, Paul, Olivia, thank you for agreeing to meet with us." He opened the door wider, motioning for them to enter. "Please, come in. My wife, Esme is cooking lunch for you, and Edward even has Bella over. We thought you would be more comfortable with another human in the house."

Paul nodded stiffly. "Yeah, thank you for having us, Doc. Olivia and I have been really worried about why that vampire attacked her."

Carlisle closed the door behind them, leading up the stairs with a chuckle. "Don't worry, Paul, I think I already know the problem with Olivia's blood."

"Do you, sir?" Olivia piped up, Carlisle turning to her with a smile. He led them up the stairs.

"Please, Olivia, call me Carlisle. And yes, I believe I have. But, you must meet my family first, to confirm the theory." He cleared his throat, a woman with chestnut colored hair turning from behind the counter to look at the couple.

"Oh, you must be Olivia and Paul!" She cleaned her hands, rushing to Carlisle's side. "I'm Esme Cullen, welcome to our home. Please, take a seat, I'm making Chinese."

Olivia took Esme's hand, letting the older woman lead her to the table. "Thank you so much. Paul and I love Chinese, don't we?"

He forced a smile for Olivia's sake, nodding. "It smells great."

Esme smiled brightly, as if nobody had ever complimented her cooking before. She went back to whatever she was doing before, her hands reaching for a pan. "I must thank you both for giving me a reason to use the kitchen, Bella usually eats at home, or Edward takes her out. And I love to cook."

"You can't cook for yourselves?" Olivia asked confused, Esme shaking her head. She grabbed two plates.

"Oh, no, we can't eat human food. Would you two like to serve yourselves, or should I serve you? I know my, um, scent might disturb you."

Paul shook his head. "No, it's fine, you can serve us if you'd like."

"Yes, please. I don't want to break anything." Esme quickly filled both plates with food, taking them over and setting them down on the table.

She took two glasses of water as well, along with utensils for the two. Olivia dug in first, thanking the vampire matriarch warmly. Paul hesitated, but took a bite of orange chicken, his eyes widening at how good it was. He then ate like he did at Emily's, no holding back.

"It's delicious, Mrs. Cullen." Olivia spoke for both of them, Esme joining Carlisle's side.

"Call me Esme, please. You two eat in peace, you can meet the rest of the family after lunch."

"We'll be in the living room, please, join us when you're ready." The older couple left, Paul finishing his meal in record time. He turned to Olivia, wiping at his mouth.

"Are you feeling okay? Uncomfortable?"

Olivia rolled her eyes, taking a sip of water. "I'm fine, Paul, seriously. They're better than I expected, you and Jared exaggerated."

Paul shrugged. "Vampires are vampires in our eyes, Livs."

She ate the rest of her food quietly, Paul containing their fingers halfway through. When she finished, they stood, heading to the living room where the family waited.

Esme and Carlisle stood upon hearing their footsteps, both smiling softly. Olivia scanned the room, noticing that everyone was with their significant other. First there was a beautiful blonde, glaring at Paul. Behind her was a tall and buff man, grinning slightly. Next, she noticing a girl with short, spiky hair and a natural smile, a blonde man standing at her side, looking like he was in pain. Lastly, she recognized Bella Swan and the boy she assumed was Edward Cullen, his eyes focused on Olivia.

She winced slightly, realizing that he was reading her and Paul's thoughts, knowing that he could see everything. She moved closer to Paul, his arms resting protectively around her.

"Paul, I trust you know everyone." Carlisle started, Paul nodding.

"Well, then, Olivia, this is my family, Rosalie, Emmett, Alice, Jasper, Edward, and I'm sure you know Bella."

"Yes, I do. It's nice to meet you all."

"Can we get to the point here, Doc? Why would that vampire go after Olivia?" Paul interjected, clearly uncomfortable being surrounded by vampires. Olivia squeezed his hand to comfort him, Paul relaxing slightly.

"Right. We believe she was his blood singer, hence why he was so attracted to her and her scent, despite your scent being all over her."

"Blood singer?" Paul repeated, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"A blood singer is a person whose blood is appealing to you, to the point where you find it irresistible. Vampires have many blood singers throughout their lifetimes, and sometimes your blood singer can be your true mate as well." Edward explained, holding Bella closer.

"Is Bella your blood singer?"

Edward nodded. "Yes, actually. She's my first blood singer, and Emmett has had two. Blood singers tend to have a particular blood scent as well, a scent appealing to all vampires."

"Their scent is very strong, even to those who they don't have connections to. Bella, for example, smells appealing to all of us, just the appeal is more to Edward than anyone else." Carlisle added.

Paul tended even more, knowing that Carlisle was implying that Olivia was appealing to them all. "Is that all?"

Olivia elbowed him, smiling. "We wouldn't want to convenience you anymore, I'm sure my scent combined with Bella's is making you uncomfortable."

Esme was the one to reply. "That was all. Thank you for coming, it was really nice to meet you, Olivia."

"And you, Esme." Olivia hesitantly stepped away from Paul, pulling the older vampire into a hug. She knew Esme appreciated, her hunch confirmed when she pulled away and saw the smile on Esme's face.

Carlisle walked the couple out, Paul giving him a goodbye before they made it to his truck. Paul didn't relax until Olivia was safely in the truck, going around and quickly starting it.

He sighed. "Thank god that's over."