Part 2

Khushi thought of the conversation she had with her adopted family. She  was dragged to her parents room when she was packing the gift to be send to raizada house at the time of Bidaai.

"Khushi bitiya, the thing is that...hmm.... Arnav's marriage is at the verge of cancelling. His bride cheated them .But Raizada family want  both the marriages to happen today itself. So Devaniji asked your hand for Arnav and we agreed to their proposal."

Her buaji spoke about her fate in just one breath .Khushi was shocked was an understatement. What the hell are they saying? They fixed her marriage without even asking her and that too to a person she knew nothing about.

"What did you just say buaji? You agreed for their proposal. How could you do that? Don't you all think to at least ask me before agreeing to such things? I am not getting married to someone I don't even know. For god sake he was supposed to get married to someone in less than 24hrs and now you all want me to be his replaced bride. I am not doing any such things. "

Khushi was literally breathing fire. How could they make such ridiculous demands?The pursuing and denial continued for some time with buaji arguing and trying to convince her with the benefits of getting married to a rich man.

Sasi gupta knew the damage his sister did when he saw the expression in Khushi's face. she had rubbed Khushi's wrong side. So he took it up himself to do the damage control.

"Bitiya, they are good family . Arnav is a handsome boy and is an established business man. They will keep you happy. I know this last minute decisions are too much for you to take in but just think about it bitiya.I would have never agreed if I have slight doubt about their intentions. It's the unexpected situation that is making us to request you something like this .I could never search for someone as educated , established and from a family like Raizada to give your hand in marriage. And it will be more relief for us tto to have our daughters married to brothers and to live happily under one roof."

But Khushi was adamant in her decision.

Garima couldn't hold back any more due to concern for her own daughter's marriage.

"Khushi, Akash is adamant in his decision of not getting married if his brother is also not getting married in the same alter. He says to postpone the wedding till his brother gets ready for another marriage. So what will happen to Payaliya.? She will be devastated. What will we say to our relatives about the cancelled marriage? They will only find fault with her. She will have to go through emotional torture for no mistake of her. Please think about her."

"what about me amma? Don't  you think I deserve someone who loves me  or at least like me ,as husband? Don't I deserve to be happy?"

Khushi tried to make Garima realize her need to have someone who loves her but even before she finishes her buaji started her taunts.

"Look Garima how your bitiya is paying you back for our generosity. She is nothing but a selfish girl who only thinks about her happiness. She is not worried about what will happen to us or her jiji. I told you not to bring your orphan niece home but you didn't give ears to my words .Now look what she has become, a selfish self-centered girl. What more can we expect from her. May be her parents also knew about her nature that's why they didn't take her  with them and left the burden for us. Acha hua wo margayi.( it's good that they are dead)At least  they escaped from a bad oman like her."

That  words of buaji hit her hard.Khushi felt numb but her eyes refused to stay dry.one after the other tears stared welling up.She looked at the people who she called her parents with a look of disbelief and betrayal. How could buaji be so cruel to even mock the death of her parents. Why? Just because she refused to get married to someone she has no feelings for and knew nothing about. After her parents death all she wished is to have someone in her life who loved her for what she is, accepted her because they want to and not because they were forced to. She knew that moment,  that  her dream of having a loving husband is also  shattered just like many others. she could tolerate anything but not anybody insulting her parents .

"Please buaji stop it,please ...stop it .I will get married to who ever you say but please spare my parents.You shouldn't have dragged them to get the things you wanted buaji.Amma ,the people who's death she mocked juast now happen to be your sister.How could you use their death as a bait to make me agree to your plan.But what more can i expect ,isn't?After  all you will never get better oppertunity to get rid of this burden that this one. Khush's words were just a whisper in between her sobs .She couldn't stand there for more  insults so she just left the room immediately trying to stop her tears without listening to anything her babuji was saying.

Sasi was not happy with the way things preceded. His sister had mocked the relationship they shared with Khushi to mere nothing but pity. It is not Khushi who is selfish but them. They mercilessly demand her sacrifice in compensation for giving her a shelter. He knew today he lost his daughter who even after constant taunts considered them as her family and was doing everything to make them happy.

"You shouldn't have said that to her jiji". How could you mock someone's death and Garima, her parents are your own sister and her husband who did everything for you and took care of you after your mother's death". Sasi just shook his head in disappointment and left from there.

He knocked Khushi's room door and entered. He couldn't just leave her to weep in her own sorrows . When he entered Khushi was looking at a photograph of her parents with eyes glassed with tears. He went near her and side hugged his daughter .

"I am sorry Khushi .jiji should not have said those words" .After some moments of silence he asked.

"Bitiya can i ask you something"?Getting a positive node from Khushi, sasi asked the question bothering him.

Bitiya do you like someone else?

Khushi was astonished with the question but answered negatively .

Do you have any problem with Raizadas?

Again Khushi nodded negatively "Bitiya consider this as an arranged marriage done in a haste and try to accept it. I know we are being selfish but we are helpless beta without you getting married to Akash's elder brother ,Payal's marriage won't happen."

"I understand babuji.It's just that....she don't know how to put her emotions and fears in words.

"Leave it babuji. ..I'll get married to him...Don't worry." it is not like they have given her any other options.She will have to get married to the person they say today or tomorrow if that benefits them.

Sasi kept his hands on Khushi as a gesture of blessing and went from there to do the preparations.

Later at night Garima and Madhumathi came to Khushi's room with the dresses and ornaments for marriage. One look at her face they could say she has been crying for a long time.

Garima sat near her and caressed her hair.

"Bitiya we are sorry that we are putting you through this. I wish things were different. These are your mothers ornaments. Consider these as her blessing. I am sure you will get all the happiness you deserve. "After wishing her good night they retired for their work.

Khushi stood near the window watching a tuta hua tara(meteorite) making a white streak across the sky .she closed her eyes to pray just like she used to do in her childhood but this time praying to guide her in new beginning .