Chapter Eight: The War Has Just Begun

Today was the day. The day that was played all over again. The day to save my family and friends and to find out the truth behind the other 3 pillars. My eyes fluttered open and I was still in the arms of Dazai. He slept peacefully. His features looked peaceful and it seemed that his mind has not disrupted him of his much-needed sleep. I smiled softly at the man before me. I felt a tug on my heart that rested in my chest. I slowly brought my hand upon his face and brushed away his brown locks from his face so I could take a better look at him. Dazai had to be half-awake during this time since he let out a satisfied sigh and leaned towards my hand that brushed by his face.

His eyes slowly opened and golden brown orbs stared into mine. He smiled softly and placed a hand on the side of my face. We stayed like that for several minutes. The morning glow from the rising sun passed through my window and seeped into my room. Dazai's hand tucked a stray hair at the back of my ear. His eyes looked longingly to every inch of my face, admiring the beauty that laid in front of me.

"Good morning, beautiful." Dazai said in his husky morning voice. Those words brought a smile to my face. I let out a chuckle as Dazai just stared lovingly into my expression. In moments like these, the barrier of just "coworkers" or just "friends" breaks and we were left bare with our true emotions towards each other. It was like a fantasy we have always wanted to live in but fantasies are just fantasies. I was the first to break away from this dream of ours. I slowly got up from bed and stretched out my arms. Dazai got up as well and walked towards the door.

"I'll be in my room if you need me." Dazai called out as he exited my room. The room suddenly felt colder and much lonelier. It was like a bright day soon turned into a cloudy one. Without Dazai's presence, I felt a small disappointed feeling lingering in my chest. I knew that I have no right to object to Dazai's actions because we were never anything to begin with. Right?

I got ready for the day. I double-checked my gun to see if it had enough bullets loaded. I checked my knife to see if it was sharp enough. I placed my weapons at the back of my hip before putting on my coat. I wouldn't want my mother to worry about the need for weapons in the dining area. I exited my room and headed to the dining room. I heard chatters and laughs, the smell of bacon and eggs coming from the kitchen heightened my senses as I quickly walked over to where the smell came from. I arrived in the dining room and Dazai was already there, ahead of me. My mother sat across him, a laugh escaping her lips. They must have been conversing while I was gone. I sat on the seat next to Dazai and picked up my utensils. My mom continued to laugh and Dazai had a very satisfied look on his face. This made me curious.

"What's so funny, mom? Did Dazai say something weird again?" I said with dread emphasizing the last sentence. My mother just chuckled and waved off my comment.

"Oh no, dear. He didn't. He just explained to me how you were sleeptalking last night. My my, I never knew you sleeptalk now, Y/N-chan." My mother said with an amused tone. My brows furrowed then when I finally processed what my mother said, my face turned red.

"I didn't know you had such a liking towards me, Y/N-chan~" Dazai teased while looking at me with a teasing smirk on his face. This made my face even redder.

"I-ah wait, Dazai. What did I say?!" I said, dying to know what words were uttered out of my mouth last night. I just prayed that it wasn't anything too embarrassing. Dazai playfully shook his head while moving his finger side to side.

"Tsk tsk no way, Y/N-chan. That's no fun if you were to know. It's a secret kept between me and your mother here." He said teasingly. The expression in my face faltered and my mouth turned into a straight line.

"Hmph, you're no fun." I said grumpily while I munch away my breakfast. Dazai let out a laugh then started dining on his breakfast. My mother looked amusingly towards me and Dazai. Dazai had already grown on her and she would be more than glad to have him as her son-in-law.