~Assistant-Charlie Barber-NSFW

The moment you hit college, you knew you wanted to work in the theater. Your biggest goal was eventually to be acting on that stage, but as long as you had a job there, you would be happy. That was why you leapt at the chance when a theater company took residence at UCLA. If you were going to make your way up in such an avant-garde company, you needed to take a smaller job first.

That smaller job happened to be assistant to Charlie Barber. He was a genius director whose work got him a MacArthur Grant a while back. His divorce had brought him to LA so that he could be closer to his son. Sometimes Charlie could be a bit of a dick, but he meant well and he was exceptionally kind to you. It also helped that he was undeniably good-looking. His well-defined facial features were surrounded by thick black waves. Charlie's deep brown eyes were speckled with flecks of gold and his pale face was littered with beauty marks. His lips were perhaps the most tantalizing of all; full and pink and always tempting you to kiss them.

You groan, shaking the thought out of your head. You couldn't believe you were fantasizing about Charlie again. This was not the thing that should be on your mind during your morning coffee run. Still, it was impossible for him not to be on your mind. He was kinder to you than most and he always insisted that you come to him if you ever needed anything. Sometimes his touch would linger a little longer than usual. Your brain told you they were friendly touches but your desire told you they were flirty.

A sigh escapes your lips as you push through the auditorium doors. Your feet hit the deep red carpet as you descend the sloping ground towards the stage with a coffee carrier in each hand. Upon seeing you, the actors flock forwards to get their morning doses of caffeine. You were fortunate that the crew always got coffee before they came in since they came so early. You weren't sure if you could carry that much if need be. The trays become lighter and lighter in your hands until only one cup is left. Charlie's.

"Hold this for me, will you?" You slide the tray into a crew member's hands. "Let me bring this to Charlie."

He was sitting in his usual seat--dead center in the fourth row back--with his nose buried in his little director's book. He always kept that book to himself unless there were notes he wanted to share, but Charlie showed it to you. You wanted to tell yourself that it was just a simple gesture and that you weren't special, but once again your desire kicked in. A smile tugs at your lips at the sight of him so invested in his work.

Charlie's head lifts when he hears you approaching him. He gives you a smile, dimples cracking at the corners of his mouth. Shit, he was hot when he smiled.

"So?" His deep voice rumbles. "Did that barista leave her number again?"

You chuckle and turn the cup around, tapping the side where her number was scrawled underneath his name. Ever since Charlie had made one coffee run with you, the barista from that little shop had tried to get him to call her. He never did.

"I want to say thank you for staying behind last night to help me finish up. Keep this up and you'll be looking at that promotion in no time." Charlie smirks.

"Promotion?" You echo incredulously. "Charlie, I-"

He waves his hand, cutting you off. "No need to thank me. I was thinking about hiring an assistant director now that the workload is going up."

Assistant director? Charlie never had an AD before. He liked to work alone so that there was no interference with his vision. And to be his assistant director? That would be a dream come true. You couldn't find the words to thank him even if you wanted to.