Chapter 30: once upon a time, there was light in my life.

I wrote this chapter listening to 'surrender' by Natalie taylor and 'if tomorrow never comes' by Ronan Keating. Enjoy!
------------------------------------------------
Dusk was falling and still Duke had not arrived. I was trying to be happy but I still didn't understand why his family too wasn't here. I knew for sure they were all enthusiastic about the news yesterday. I was currently looking at the twins in their crib. What did I do to deserve such angels? I was dozing off when I heard his mom's voice, pleading with the nurse on duty to allow her see us even though visiting time was over. I got down from the bed and pleaded with her to allow us some time together. When she saw the children, she also commented on their eyes. When I inquired about everyone else she informed me that something came up so they all weren't able to make it. The nurse was on our neck so she had to leave, not after promising to come back tomorrow. Mom and I were awoken by the constant cries of the children. By morning, we both looked like zombies. How will I manage this life? I was so going to play dead and leave the children for Duke at midnight. Where that husband of mine was, I had no idea. I miss his warm hugs and kisses. I was feeling sleepy so I tried to sleep. Soon, sleep came calling and I was already in lala land. Now you must know that I am not a deep sleeper. The little bit of noise wakes me up. Even though, I was asleep I could hear voices around me.
'How do we tell her"?
' I doubt its healthy to do that now'
'Its better to do it now than to wait for her to figure it out'

I just couldn't sleep anymore so I opened my eyes and asked what it is they wanted to tell me. The occupants of the room consisted of my mom, Ama and Aj.
"Nothing ", they all replied in unison.
Now, I was sure something was certainly wrong. They were all avoiding my numerous questions but I know two people who wouldn't hesitate to give me all the gist, if they were up to date with whatever it was that was going on. We were going to be discharged today so when they left to foot the bills, I called the twins, mainly to find out about the whereabouts of their brother and also gist. One of them answered after the third ring. Her "hello" sounded strained and her voice was hoarse. I returned her greeting and said, "why would your brother do this to us? He didn't even come to see the babies. Why"?
"Who told you about the accident? We weren't supposed to tell you about it", she replied.

Acci... What? What are you talking about? Oh so that's why everyone was acting weird. What happened? Please do not lie to me, I said on the verge of tears. All she did was to weep and spoke no other words aside mumbling Duke's name. I was beginning to think the "worst" had happened. Just then mom and Ama entered the room.

when were you going to tell me my husband was involved in an accident? When!, I screamed.

They looked at each other without uttering a word.

"Which hospital is he in, because I'm going there straightaway. I don't care what any of you says".
They told me he was at home. We quickly left the hospital for the house. My mom kept insisting the driver takes us to her house but I was determined to see Duke right that instant. When we got to the entrance of our home, I left the twins with mom and rushed indoors. The scene before me wasn't one that depicted what you see in the home of someone recuperating. Almost all his family were here and dressed in black, tears streaking down their faces and his mom looked like she would pass out anytime soon. I didn't need someone to tell me I had been lied to. He wasn't home. No my Duke wasn't here. I'm sure he would be in the morgue as I speak. I was angry at myself and at the whole world. Why? I don't know for how long I stayed rooted in the exact spot I was in. All that I knew was I had lost my best friend, my partner, my fighting partner and my everything. I don't recall any of the events that took place following his death because I was just going through the motions of life. My mind wasn't in the right place. The only reason why I was glad to be awake was because of Sapphire and Chrysolite. Yes, I named them after the very stones he wanted to name our children after. The day of his burial, was the hardest day of my life. I kept blaming myself for his death. Maybe I should have allowed him focus on the road. He didn't even get to see the children. He didn't even know we had twins. Everything we ever wished for was here and he wasn't even there to witness it. He took a part of me away. All these months I spent loathing him could have been spent making memories. Oh how I would give anything just to have him in my arms once more. I would do anything to see that laugh of his that used to annoy me. I allowed us to drift apart and now I feel empty without him. We are not really promised tomorrow. Watching the coffin being lowered into the ground, I couldn't take it anymore. I broke down into uncontrollable tears. Everything we once shared flashed through my mind. It was hard for me to breathe but when I heard the cries of the two little girls we made, I was drawn back into reality. I accepted he was gone but will forever live in my heart and it was my duty to make sure he lives in the heart of his children too. I was determined to do just that. I took one last glance at his grave and turned away ready to try living every day without him by my side. The journey wasn't going to be easy but I was sure we would get through it all. I just need to keep remembering, once upon a time, there was light in my life...

-----------------------------------------------
😭😭😭finally we have come to the end of Ria and Duke's love story. Thanks to everyone that has been supporting since the first chapter. watchout for another work in progress. See ya when I see ya!