Chapter 12

I ran into Damon on my way into the hospital and he approached me.

"Jo told me where to meet them, I was just waiting for you." He explained.

I followed him through the halls of the hospital as we paced towards wherever it was we were going.

"Any idea what's going on?" I asked.

"Not a clue." He answered.

We turned into a small room filled with glowing white light. The light was beaming from a large fluorescent white board with two brain scans pinned next to each other on it. One with a few red/yellow patches on the brain and the other was covered in red spots. Whatever it was it didn't look good. Behind the board stood Jo, Stefan, Elena and now Damon and I. Strangely no Caroline.

Jo begun to speak.

"I had Duke send over Colins medical records. This head scan is from earlier this week." She said pointing to the less red one.

"And this one was taken right here 10 minutes ago." She gestures to the other one.

This was the first time I had seen her since everything happened and she looked surprisingly okay. I'm sure she was hurting inside but props to her for pulling it together, I know I couldn't have.

"See all that red?" She asked us.

"I'm no doctor but that guy is screwed." Damon answered.

"So the blood didn't heal him it sped up his cancer and killed him?" Stefan added.

Blood? What blood.

"What do you mean blood?" I asked.

"Colin was fed vampire blood in an attempt to cure his cancer." Jo responded.

Oh god. How awful.

"So now I have a stage 10 cancer patient, which by the way, doesn't exist. Who is beyond terminally ill and a vampire. Meaning all of his emotions are heightened and he can't die." Jo told the room.

As Damon started speaking I noticed Caroline and her mom finally entering the room.

"Hey no offence but can someone tell me why I was called here to listen to the story of Colin the cancer vamp?" Damon asked.

Trust Damon to be delicate about the situation. To be fair I was sort of wondering the same.

"Because Caroline fed me her blood last night." Liz replied.

The room fell silent as every head in the room turned to face the Forbes'. Everyone apart from Stefan who hung his head, it seemed by his lack of shock he already knew.

I couldn't even speak. I immediately felt awful for Caroline, if this killed Liz she'd blame herself forever, she'd never get past this.

"So the same thing is gonna happen to me." Liz added sadly.

~~~

We all sat at the hospital for hours whilst Jo poured over books and studied the scans, intermittently checking on Colin who was now in her care. I had sat in the uncomfortable waiting room chairs for so long my legs were practically numb.

All I had done for the last two hours was rack my brain of any way I could think of to get Liz back to normal. We just needed an idea to give us hope. But how do we get the blood out of her system.

That's when it hit me. Vampire blood. It's magic. Technically, it's magic. It has to be. Oh god I really wished I didn't have to call him for help but he was our only hope.

I sprung to my feet and grabbed Damon and Elena's hands who were sitting opposite me and dragged them from the waiting room and into the quiet hallway where we were alone.