Chapter 21

It took me thirty minutes to find the perfect hiding spot for the ascendant in my room. I trialled a few before finally choosing to stuff it in the toe of one of my boots.

I'm not sure anyone would come looking for the ascendant anyway, but Kai had asked me to hide it so I did. I placed the vile of blood in my trinket box along with the note Kai left for me the first night he came here to talk.

The ascendant hiding task had occupied me for a mere thirty minutes. The next few hours after were torture. My hands hadn't been steady since they left and my heart was trembling at an uneasy pace.

I had spent most of the last few hours pacing back and forth in the kitchen. Sometimes at vamp speed, however that quickly made me dizzy. I tried to do tasks to take my mind off of it but I couldn't concentrate on anything. All I could think about was if they were safe or not.

I just hoped to god Lily Salvatore's century long stint in time out zone had mellowed her ripper instincts. The last thing we needed was her coming home and joining Stefan and Caroline in their antics instead of saving them.

If I'm being honest with myself I wasn't so much worried about Lily as I was Kai. It was no secret Bonnie hated him, and Damon and Elena were hardly fond of him either. I worry that if something went wrong, if Lily were to attack them for example, they'd fend for themselves and leave Kai to fly solo.

An overwhelming sense of guilt engulfed me as I began to overthink the situation. Perhaps I should have told the others about how close Kai and I were. Then they might have been more inclined to help him if anything was to go wrong.

I think the reason I was putting it off is because I honestly had no idea how to explain my relationship with Kai. I don't know how it happened or exactly when, but he just creeped under my skin.

And anyway what would I say. Kai and I are friends now? I wasn't even sure if that's what you would describe us as, I mean I did think of him as a friend, but there were moments when he looked at me where I could almost swear we were more than that.

I hadn't even spoken to Kai about any of this let alone anyone else.

I finally gave in and sat down on the sofa and rested my legs. I was barley off of my feet before I heard the door swing open.

I sprung to my feet. They had to use the 1903 ascendant under the aurora borealis, so when they came back they were transported to just outside the Salvatore house.

My shaking legs carried me to the hall and there wasn't an inch of my body which didn't feel numb with nerves. I was anxious to learn of their journey.

I looked down the hall and into the door way and saw Damon come in first, unzipping his jacket as he walked through the door. Then Elena, then it was another woman who I assumed to be Lily Salvatore, then Bonnie. I expected Kai to enter last but instead Bonnie just turned and closed the door behind her.

Everyone was approaching me down the hall, their lips were moving and Damon was gesturing towards Lily as he approached me. I couldn't hear a word.

"Where's Kai?" I uttered.

Damon looked shiftily at the others but no words left any of their mouths.

"Did he go home already? How come he didn't want to come back here?" My words were flying out at a million miles an hour.

The longer the silence lasted the less I breathed. I felt like I hadn't inhaled for minutes now.

"Maddie, I -" Damon was holding my shoulders now.

"Where the hell is he?" I yelled down the hall.

Bonnie glared at me down the hall. Probably wondering why I was being so over dramatic over Kai.

"He's stuck in 1903 bleeding out somewhere. Why do you care anyway?" She shot.

They say when you're a vampire your emotions are heightened. You feel everything more intensely, joy, love, pain, loss. Anger. So when Bonnie said that I snapped.

I hurled myself towards her but before I could reach her Damon was holding my arms behind my back and preventing me from reaching her.

"How could you Bonnie?" I screamed.

I was kicking and yelling so much that I hardly noticed Elena escort Lily from the hall and into the kitchen. I didn't stop, as tears began to flow down my face.

"It's no more than he did to me!" Bonnie yelled.

"And he's not that person anymore. He's changed. You knew he had changed, you all did, and you left him anyway." I cried finally shrugging Damon off me.

"Maddie, listen -" Damon tried to reason with me.

Suddenly shock jolted through my body as I made a realisation.

"You knew." I uttered in disbelief towards Damon.

"C'mon Maddie I -" Damon started.

"Oh my god. That's how you got Bonnie to go to 1903. So you could trap Kai there. You knew and you didn't tell me!" I yelled at Damon, my words felt like poison as they dropped from my tongue.

"Maddie -" Damon tried to calm me.

Bonnie just stood by the door watching as I began to scurry up the stairs, shouting behind me.

"You know what Damon, you got your second chance so don't even try and talk to me."

I finally reached my room and slammed the door closed behind me.

I slid down on my door completely breaking down as the room seemed to spin around me. I let out a scream which seemed to shake the house, as I threw my phone across the room and heard it slam against my wall.

I let the emotion consume me for a minute before I realised there was something I could do. My tears suddenly stopped and I was as calm as I had ever been. I knew exactly what I had to do.

I ran across the room and into my closet and grabbed a large duffel bag. I began stuffing it with random items of clothing, Kai's sweats from the night I stayed over, socks and underwear, my toiletries, anything I could grab quickly.

The last thing I shoved in were some books and I grabbed my winter coat and put it on. I placed the strap of the bag over my shoulder and retrieved my favourite pair of boots. I slid my hand right into the toe, grasping the ascendant.

Then I went into the trinket box and collected the vial of blood. I stood up and took a deep breath before popping the cork from the top of the bottle and letting the blood trickle onto the ascendant. Cogs began to turn and the ascendant churned. I closed my eyes.

When I opened them my room was completely different.