Chapter 13

I paced outside the hospital entrance waiting for Kai to arrive, praying he would be able to help us. Just as I was about to completely lose it and let anxiety take over my body I saw Kai pacing towards me. He rushed towards me and started speaking frantically.

"Maddie I just wanted to say I -" He started.

He honestly looked awful, his expression was full of worry and his face looked sunken. I didn't have time to worry about that.

"Kai I really need your help, okay? We can talk about everything else later." I interrupted.

Without waiting for a response I dragged him through the hospital until we were just outside Liz' room. I halted before entering and for the what felt like the first time in hours I took a breath.

"Okay so long story short, Caroline's mom has cancer, Caroline fed her mom vampire blood thinking it would heal her but instead it's speeding up her cancer and killing her." I rushed.

"Okay, so where do I come into all of this?" Kai asked confused.

"So I was thinking Vampires are made by magic meaning our blood is technically magic too right?" I suggested.

"Right." Kai added dubiously.

"So if the problem is getting magic out of her then I thought you could-"

Kai looked down at his palms suddenly following what I was saying. He replied with a nod and we both went into Liz' room.

Liz looked up at me with confusion as I entered. She had never met Kai so I was just hoping she hadn't heard the stories about him and connected the dots.

"Where's Caroline?" Liz asked.

"She just ran out to get some food." I lied.

"Maddie." She said full of worry, she knew I wasn't telling the truth.

"She just took off." I said softly.

Sadness rushed over Liz' face and she looked up at the ceiling trying to control the tears which threatened to flood from her eyes.

"She won't forgive herself for this will she?" Liz croaked through tears.

I sat on the edge of her bed and placed my hand on top of hers.

"Hey. I'll make sure that we find her" I assured her.

Liz glanced over at Kai for the first time since we entered. He was standing awkwardly by the door. She looked back at me waiting for me to explain.

"I have an idea if you want to try it." I begun.

I spent a while with Liz going through my idea and explaining what Kai would do and how I thought it would help.

Half way through my explanation Damon had reentered the room and he looked a little less cold than before. He gave me a small nod as a sign that he was on board with my idea. I mean it was the only idea we had, and we had to do something fast. Damon crept up behind me and whispered in my ear.

"You better be right about Kai."

"I am." I said confidently.

Liz agreed to Kai trying to siphon the magic from her and he stood by her side, Damon and I stood on the other side of her bed watching over them.

"I will rip your head off if you screw this up." Damon threatened Kai.

The tension between the two of them was almost unbearable in the room. Kai shot Damon an amused look back. Giggling at Damon's threat.