Chapter 18

My fingers stretched across to the other side of the bed searching for warmth. When I found it empty I reluctantly opened my eyes. It wasn't a dream. I was in Kai's bed. Except he was no where to be seen.

I next reached for my phone which was sat on the nightstand beside me but soon found out it was dead. A groan escaped my lips.

Just as I was beginning to stretch awake I heard noises coming from across the hall. It sounded like retching and coughing. I creeped out of bed and put my feet on Kai's cold hardwood floors.

"Kai?" I called from the hall.

With no answer I moved cautiously towards the noise. I creeped a few doors down and noticed the door of what I assumed to be the bathroom slightly ajar.

"Kai are you in there?"

I cracked the door open. The scene was horrific. Kai was bundled over the toilet shaking uncontrollably and there was blood everywhere. Before I could get any more words out Kai was vomiting dark red blood.

"Oh my god Kai. We need to get you to the hospital."

"Jo." He said through erratic breaths.

"You need to take me to Jo."

I nodded.

"Okay stay here and I'll be back in one minute okay."

I ran down the hallway and back into Kai's room. I quickly slipped out of my black dress I had somehow managed to sleep in and threw on a pair of sweats I found in Kai's closet. Thankfully I stuffed a fair of flip flops in my bag last night for when my feet got sore from my heels.

I decided to abandon my phone but grabbed Kai's and shoved it in my pocket before going back to the bathroom.

"Okay do you think you're okay to move?" I asked Kai.

He gave me a small nod as I passed him a towel from the counter top to wipe his face. I helped drag him up from the floor and he squeezed my hand tightly as I led him down the hallway.

"My keys are there."

He pointed to a hook just by his doorway.

"You'll need to drive." He added.

I grabbed the keys and practically carried him down the stairs before placing him in the passenger seat of his car and speeding off towards Jo's apartment.

A short drive and another struggle up the stairs and we were there. I knocked nervously on the door and waited.

Alaric pulled open the door and immediately upon seeing Kai began to shut it again. Kai quickly wedged his foot in the door preventing us from being shut out.

"Wait. I know you hate me but I really, really need to see my sister." He begged.

"I think she'll pass." Alaric answered.

"What are you doing here." Jo called from the back of the apartment. I couldn't see where.

"I called to tell you I was sick. You hung up." Kai said.

"Because I have food poisoning. Did the sound of my vomiting on the other end not clue you in?" She snapped.

Kai sighed. Neither Jo or Alaric had acknowledged my presence yet. Frosty.

"Look there's an issue I've been worried about since the merge, because we didn't really do it right. You know, the whole 'you're not my twin!' 'Hey, that's okay, close enough.' Plan."

"It worked which is, you know, cool. I'm even a little bit nice now in case your wondering."

Alaric ground his teeth. He really despised Kai.