Chapter 14

I only had to drive two blocks to collect him. He hadn't managed to get far since I demanded he leave for his own safety. I pulled up at the side of the road where I saw Kai waiting for me, just like I had asked him to when I called.

As I stopped he climbed into my car. I could tell he didn't quite know what to say. He had no idea what had happened after he left and he was probably terrified of getting the blame for anything bad that happened.

"She's alive. Liz, she's okay." I blurted.

Kai sighed in relief.

"And you? Are you okay?" He asked.

He clearly noticed from my shaky hands and panicked call that I was feeling somewhat shook up.

"I forgive you."

I stared into his eyes.

"What?" He was confused.

To be fair it wasn't really an answer to his question.

"Listen, I forgive you okay. I was thinking, I shouldn't expect you to be able to suddenly control everything over night. I know it's gonna take time. And I mean today Liz almost died, and I know I'm immortal but -" my words were flying out my mouth at a million miles an hour.

I took a breath and turned to face Kai. His expression was blank, confused, waiting for me to finish my sentence.

"Life's too short for me too be mad at you."

His grin practically went from ear to ear. It was so contagious that even in my current state I felt my mouth morphing into a smile.

"You know, you're the first person I've ever wanted to forgive me."  He admitted.

His eyes scanned my face, before meeting my eyes. For a second we were both locked in each other's gaze, neither of us moving an inch. Finally snapping back into reality I looked down at my knees and smiled. My body had finally calmed down and I could feel my fingers again.

"You wanna come back to the Salvatore house?" I asked.

"Let's go on a walk. I'm tired of being cooped up."

I nodded as reply and started driving us to the park. Honestly a walk wasn't a bad idea, I could do with some air, it felt like I could barely breathe today. It did feel a bit weird though, going on a stroll down the park with Kai.

In five minutes I arrived at the park. We both stepped out the car and started walking awkwardly beside each other. The sun beamed down on us and the sweet crisp air breezed past us. I noticed Kai looking at me out of the corner of his eye. When I turned to see why he just met me with a smile.

"What?" I giggled.

His smile went deeper.

"Are you gonna tell me?" I laughed.

His eyes consumed me. I felt like he was noticing every minor detail of my face.

"You're beautiful Maddie. I mean I wanted to tell you this morning, but then I -" He struggled to get out.

Oh god. This morning. I was an awful person, my best friend was trapped in a prison, and here I was strolling through the park when I could be helping her.

"Oh my god." I gasped.

Kai suddenly looked embarrassed. His face flushed and he struggled to keep eye contact.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel awkward, I -" he stuttered.

"No. No, honestly Kai it's not that, it's just when you said this morning, I remembered what I needed to tell you. I remembered and then I felt awful because -" I blurted out.