Chapter 37

This was it. The last ever night in the apartment. Tomorrow morning we left for Rome. Our belongings were in storage, our cases packed.

Everything had been a mad rush but it was finally done and we were ready to leave.

I had said my final goodbyes to everyone, promising to stay in touch and tell them every detail of what was going on in my life.

My friends had all given me beautiful gifts. Something meaningful from each of them. Elena had gifted me a leather bound notebook, after instructing me to write all of my best memories down and let her read them one day. Bonnie gave me a Polaroid camera to capture my travels on, Caroline gave me a small silver locket with a picture of us four girls in it, on the back the co-ordinates of Mystic Falls were engraved, so I'd always have a reminder of home. She even slipped in a gift for Kai, a silver ring with both of our initials engraved on the inside of the band.

Finally there was Damon and Stefan's gift. They handed me a set of keys with a key ring attached. The key ring was a small silver deathly hallows symbol. The boys explained that they were keys for the Salvatore House, because no matter how far I went, this would always be my home, and I was always welcome here. A tear welled in my eyes as I embraced the boys tightly, thanking them for accepting me in when I had no where else to go.

With my goodbyes over, it meant there was only one thing left to do. To go. To experience life with Kai.

"God Kai, I can't believe it." I said, my lips curving into a grin.

"What?" He smiled back.

"This. Us. I mean we're leaving, isn't that crazy? Who would have thought this would happen?"

His muscular arms encircled my waist as he pulled me closer to him. His eyes looked down at me lovingly, a small smile beginning to form on his lips.

"I'm just so glad I blackmailed you to be my life coach instead of getting a real therapist." He laughed.

"Me too." I snorted. "Although, I never thought I'd say that at the time."

"Yeah sure." Kai said sarcastically. "You secretly loved me, even back then."

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head as I poured both Kai and I a glass of wine to celebrate.

"To our new adventure." I said raising my glass and clinking it with Kai's before sipping the wine.

"Are you excited?" I asked, as soon as the glass left my lips.

"I can't wait Maddie. We're going to have the best time, just me and you and no drama." Kai spoke happily.

"I'll drink to that." I laughed, sipping more wine.

I got lost for a moment in Kai's eyes as he moved forward wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close.

His face was so perfect, every aspect of it. There wasn't one part of him I wasn't breathtakingly in love with.

"I love you Maddie." He whispered, his blue eyes were all I could see.

"I love you more Kai." I smiled.

He shook his head as he leaned down, kissing me slowly.

We finally broke apart, still caught in each other's gaze.

"Promise me this is forever?" I whispered, inches from his face.

"I promise." He smiled, his hand moving to the side of my face.

"I'm the luckiest man in the world." He said as he studied me, before leaning in for another swift kiss.

He embraced me in a tight hug as I looked over his shoulder around the apartment, recalling all the memories made there.

The first night I had came here when Kai was sick, the same night I had slept in his bed for the first time. I had secretly loved the way he held me through the night. How safe I had felt.

I recalled his reaction to me the night of our first date. How he had made me feel so beautiful and confident.

I remembered all the nights spent on the sofa laughing and sharing our deepest secrets. Growing closer in love with every day.

The memories seemed to flash in my mind like a feature film, reminding me of all the wonderful times Kai had blessed me with.

He released me from his grip and grabbed on to my hands. Grinning sweetly at me.

"Shall we?" He asked.

I nodded silently as he took my hand and led me to the couch.

We curled up beside each other for the last ever night here. The last ever time we would cuddle into one another on this sofa.

It was completely and utterly terrifying, but also exciting. I knew so many good things were to come in our relationship and the mere thought of our life together was intoxicating.

It was hard to say goodbye to Mystic Falls but to begin the next chapter of our lives we had to close the last chapter. And I was okay with that.

The TV in front of us glowed, softly lighting the room.

My fingers laced in between Kai's.

Eerie music filled the room as the title scene appeared.

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2'.

AUTHORS NOTE

So this is the end of my first book! Thank you to everyone who read it and to those who voted on chapters! I'm currently working on a second Kai Parker book which I'm super excited about and I've learned so much from writing this one that I know now how to make the next one so much better. I have so many ideas for my next book so I'm so excited to share it with those of you who will read the next one.

I hope you all enjoyed :)