Chapter 33

"What is it you have to show me Klaus?" I asked as he led me up the stairs case.

His head craned round to stare at me, a grin smudged across his face.

"Some things are better left unsaid love."

He stopped when he got to a closed door on the first floor. I stood behind him as he forced the door open, entering before me. He gestured me inside.

I was three steps inside when I noticed.

My arms, my legs, everything began to shake uncontrollably. It was as if the breath had been stolen from my lungs, and I couldn't figure out how to get it back. My mouth hung open as I started to feel a hot stream run down my cheeks. I couldn't talk or move or do anything.

"That reaction was worth the blood." Klaus laughed, patting my shoulder as he did so.

"I'll leave you two to get on with it." He teased before exiting the room.

He sat in front of me. It couldn't be, and yet it was unmistakably him.

"Maddie?" Kol spoke finally.

I shook my head at him, my teeth sunk into my lower lip to prevent myself from sobbing.

"No. You're dead." I whispered in disbelief.

"Everyone saw you die. I mourned you!" My voice cracked through my tears.

"I was dead Maddie." He rose from his chair as he spoke, and slowly moved towards me, his eyes never moving from mine.

"Then how are you here?" I asked, still trying to control my breathing.

He hadn't changed at all. Of course he hadn't, he was a vampire. His dark features looked just the way I remembered them as he began to explain.

"It's a long story darling, mother dearest brought me back to help take out the rest of them. It didn't quite work out for her. That's a story for another time love." His hands were now resting on my arms as he looked into my eyes. I barley noticed how close he had gotten to me.

I never thought I'd see his face again. I resented myself for his death, spent months unable to move past it, and here he was stood in front of me, right as rain.

"Why was no one ever told? Why didn't you tell me Kol?" I still couldn't process what was happening.

"The mystic falls bunch weren't exactly my biggest fans, and I wasn't planning on them killing me again. And you Maddie, I believe the last thing you ever said to me was 'I never want to see you again' so forgive me if I obliged."

The tears were still streaming down my face. I had regretted those words being the last I spoke to Kol since the moment he died.

I replayed those words in my head every day for months, knowing that I never really meant them. Knowing if perhaps I hadn't have said them, he wouldn't have died.

"I mourned you, you have to know that Kol. I mean when you died, I was devastated." I explained, hoping it would make up for the harsh words I spoke.

Kols mouth formed a familiar smile as he raised his hand to the side of my face, wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"Then let's give it another go." He whispered.

His brown eyes seemed endless, I couldn't escape from them no matter how hard I tried.

"I never stopped caring for you Mads. I mean I think I really loved you, you know that."

"And I would never let anyone hurt you again. I swear to you." He added protectively.

I scrunched my eyes closed as more tears fell from my eyes.